blown head gasket help!! questions

demolition man

Jul 15, 2007
ct
i am almost 100% positve i have a blown head gasket on my 7m-gte(i will no for sure this weekend when i remove my motor)
anyway my engine has 100k miles, i planed on getting the head ported and polished before i put on the new head gasket, my question is would it be all right to just rebuild the top end of my engine and not the bottom end? i realy dont have the money to do both, and if i had to i would assume just to buy a used jdm instead, please help me any sugestions would help me greatly

i already talked to a machine shop they quoted about $600 to port polish and resurface, does this sound like a fair price

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
My honest opinion....scrap the idea of port and polishing the head. It would be best to get the bottom rebuilt and get a MHG and ARP studs. Get the machine work to get it as close to spec as possible. Then I would get the head checked and machined flat and new valve stem seals. You'll probably just spend maybe a little over what you were going to pay for the port and polish job.

Take it with a grain of salt as others are probably going to say the same thing. Do it once and do it right. Worry about the port and polish later down the road when you are making some high HP numbers as you won't benefit that much if you are just stock.

P.S. do some searching, there are about a billion (ok, maybe only a million) threads about "BHG"

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
^word.
100k on the motor? it's got another 100k left in it, hehe
fix the bhg if you have one, buy a jdm motor. tear that apart and get it ported and all that. when you're ready, drop that in.

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
theKnifeArtist said:
^word.
100k on the motor? it's got another 100k left in it, hehe
fix the bhg if you have one, buy a jdm motor. tear that apart and get it ported and all that. when you're ready, drop that in.
:withstupi

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
i agree with spending money to make it bulletproof and perfectly reliably running rather than porting and polishing. if you go for higher horsepower and throw a rod/get rod knock because you didnt choose to check up on the bottom end you'll be sorry and you'll loose more than 600 dollars...

i think if you do it yourself the price of new bearings and misc. stuff isn't bad...

demolition man

Jul 15, 2007
ct
thanks for the help

bcg04 i im sure its a blown head gasket because i have coolant in my oil and my engine is running horrible, lol

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
The price of a port and polish (if you don't do it yourself) can get the bottom end done on a stock level. Scrap the JDM idea, all it is, is a used, beat on japanese motor, not much different from the american counterpart you can find in your local junk yard.

extendor

Jul 23, 2007
Devon
demolition man said:
thanks for the help

bcg04 i im sure its a blown head gasket because i have coolant in my oil and my engine is running horrible, lol

Coolant in the oil - get it out of the engine ASAP otherwies you are looking at longer term bearing failures.