Blower motor problems

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
So I was driving home with the defrost on and my fan kicks out. Go over some bumps and it kicks back on again. Most of the way back and it starts smelling like burning, so I turned off the fan and pulled in to my driveway. I took out the fan resistor (the usual culprit for blower speed control problems) and tested that, everything tests good. I plug the resistor back in and try turning on the fan to find I have no fan at all now. So I took out the glove box and just jarred it with a small hobby hammer to see what would happen and it starts spinning, but quite slowly. Putting air through the vents on cold puts out stinky warmish air, so I'm assuming my fan is done. Is there anything else I should be checking? Can these things be repaired easily or am I needing to find a new one? I can't find any info on removing the blower motor either in the TSRM or on the forums really here either :cry:

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Yeah, while I was waiting for a reply I figured I'd go and see if I can figure it out myself for taking it out. Completely screwed over the heads of the screws that were in there due to lack of space and proper tools, but I got it out. I'll try giving it 12V off a battery tomorrow to confirm. Any idea how much I'd be looking at for a replacement or if they're available from toyota and/or aftermarket?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I'm usually not one to cheap out but assuming there's no radial shaft play, rust, and the motor is electrically ok, try re-oiling the sleeve bearings through the holes in each end of the housing put there for that purpose. It's a common problem on fractional horsepower motors and car blowers in particular. I've lost track of how many I've brought back to life doing this. If that doesn't work you can always replace it.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I'll give it a shot but I don't think I'm going to hold my breath on it. It smells kind of like my video switch did after it got a surge of 110V through it and (before I saw this post this morning) I tested it just with some alligator clips to a battery and it had no life at all. No spinning, no whining, no humming, no vibrating, no smoking, no fuming :(

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Just figured I'd let people know the solution. Blower motor was dead. After further inspection I could see pieces of broken copper inside the small hole where the rubber tube attaches. It was incredibly simple to replace. Here's how to do it.

1.) Remove passenger kick panel
2.) Remove glove box
3.) Remove passenger side panel covering relays wiring on the right side of the footwell.
4.) Unplug and remove blower motor resistor pack (1 screw phillips, slide to the left, and pull out).
5.) Remove the small rubber line that attaches to the vent. Unscrew blower motor (3 screws straight edge or T20) and undo the two wire clip. It may help to unclip some of the relays/wire harnesses in the area, but I didn't.
6.) Remove turbine, rubber line, and gasket from old fan and install on to new fan.
7.) Install new motor, if the leads aren't in a plug, the negative goes in the vertical pin on the plug, the positive goes in the horizontol plug. I also put in some small bolts in place of the screws because I chewed mine up pretty good getting them out.
8.) Reassemble