blew a small coolant hose...

grsupra87

Let's go Pens!!
Not really a question, I'm just relaying an experience. My Supra has been sitting while I get it ready for paint. I replaced fenders, doing some body work, etc. So I figure I'll take it for a small run even though its really ugly right now. I put the taillights and turn signal lights back on and take it up the road with my 9 year old son and my 7 year old niece. I went a couple miles, turned around, and got on it some; then all of a sudden I'm blowing a ton of smoke. Like a crop duster!! So I limp home, start looking, and find I blew the little 90 degree short hose from behind the water pump to the block, under the distributor and it was spewing coolant all over the exhaust manifold (and everywhere else). Anyway, fortunately Autozone had a hose the same size. If you ever have to replace this hose, be advised, it is much easier if you remove the distributor! Anyway, just felt like sharing since in the 16 months I've had the car, its the first "malfunction" I've had, and I'm relieved it was so minor!

Mosupra9

Jun 6, 2006
Tucson
dude that happend to me too..on the way from PHX to tucson....it was the SMALLL little one that was a pain in the ass to get abck on....i didnt take the distributor off...i took the pipe in the water pump off and put the hose and put it back on..i got the hose from TOYOTA......i saw the one form chekers.....it was a little off....and i didnt wanan risk it...

grsupra87

Let's go Pens!!
yeah, the one from Advance was just a LITTLE too long. I trimmed about an inch off the end, went on real slick. Taking the distributor out is def the way to go. Just make sure you mark the rotor position woth a paint marker for when you put the distributor back in.

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I used the 90 degree hose from the back of the head in place for that one you guys are tlaking about, and it fit perfect. $22 hose from toyota tho, so I was a little hesitant at fist.
eric

Neil

Poker of the Smot
Apr 29, 2006
In the Supe
Yeah I blew that hose a few weeks back... Was a simple fix, just bought a new hose from A1 for like 5 bucks and put it on... took 15 minutes including trip to the autopart store in the truck. Threw a new clamp on too... since it was free.

jazzsaxman1988

smells like burnt waffles
May 6, 2006
Dinwiddie, VA
www.cygnusx1.net
Yellow 13 said:
Wait till you nlow the hose behind the EGR. That ones always fun to replace.

If you're talking about the lower heater hose that goes from the pipe at the rear of the block to the body, then I'd have to agree. It's nearly impossible to get that hose clamp tightened down while the engine is in the engine bay.