black smoke under load

jast14

Apr 5, 2005
DFW TX
Well my car has been setting for about a year. I had to move it form the drive way to the street so we could get some stuff in the house. Car fired right up after a jump and was blowing smoke out the back. The smoke was white and smelled like gas. I figured that was just the old gas being burned off. I started moving her after she warmed up and my friend told me there was a lot of black smoke coming out the back.

Now the car ran fine a year ago no oil leeks or anything. Is this something to worry about or is it just the car burning off the old gas and just form sitting so long? Also it only blows the smoke when it is moving not just setting there.

evilone

they call me Tatter Salad
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Worth
how thick is the smoke when it is under load? mine use to do this after it sat about a year from a bhg. i just kept driving it and it eventually went ayaw. i figureed it was just some carbon build up or something to that nature.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Drive it a bit more and see if the smoke goes away. Generally black smoke is a rich air/fuel condition. The most common causes are boost leak, faulty afm, faulty O2 sensor, or faulty ignition system. If you're going to not drive your car for long periods of time you need to take precautions if you want it to run perfect everytime.

RTA Supra

MA70 Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2005
Tampa, FL
My car did a similar thing back when I had an AFM. I guess the afm would get wet when it rained and fumble around until it cleared itself out.

:OT: Bishop, your car has been my inspiration for years!