Bizarre test results-- Ignitor

turbogeek87

turbogeek87
Mar 29, 2006
Juneau, AK
I attempted to test my ignitor using the TSRM I get to step 2F ohmmeter connected between body ground and term 2 of coil A, and I have constant continuity, I try the other two coils with the same result. An occasional "car dies on me and then cranks ok but seems to want to start, but won't," issue is what lead me to do the test. I haven't been able to catch it when I had tools to do a spark test, but if it is spark, it would seem to be a "weak" spark rather than no spark.
At this point, I don't know if the weird test results are even related to the dying issue, but the results seem totally wrong and I'd like to get it squared away. Possibly a "Short to Ground" but I don't know enough about this ignition system to know how the components work together. (BTW it would be great if someone knowledgeable about the subject would do a write up.)
I know basic ignition, but I don't know how the ignitor and Cam Position sensor (and the ECU) interact to create spark.

I have replaced the ignitor and still get the same result.

History of problem
-Blown EFI fuse under the hood-- Replaced. has not blown again.
-next it dies at an intersection and will crank and kind of barble like it's going to start, but it won't. Leave car for a period of time, come back. starts like normal.
-Same as above, again.
- Throws a code 14, once. Cleared and has not come back...yet.

Other issues,
-Car can't seem to find idle. Clear computer and it will start idling at 400-650, then will climb and settle at 1100 or 1200.
-Readjusted TPS to clear code 51 last month, now the code is back.

turbogeek87

turbogeek87
Mar 29, 2006
Juneau, AK
jetjock;1124170 said:
The TSRM procedure can be confusing if you're unaware of how the igniter works. Member isnms does a nice job covering it here:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47334&highlight=igniter

I probably should have mentioned that I used that article to do the test.
What it clears up is the connection points for the three volt battery to trigger each coil, correct?
I didn't get that far. Once I hook up the tester, I have continuity (i.e. the "switch" is constant on for all three coils) no point in hooking up a three volt source to see if I get momentary continuity, it's already there. I'm not sure how it can run in this condition, but like I said, I'm out of my depth with this ignition system. It is, for the time being, in running condition with the above test results (constant on signal to all three coils).

Larry