Bitter sweet day

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
Well today started out pretty decent; washed the supra on the way to get new rear tires installed. Got the tires mounted, turns out one of my rims is a little bent up (you can see an inner caliper move in a couple of spots) they said it wasn't too bad and just balanced the rim for me to where everything was stable. Tires were great (275/40/17 BFG g-force sport), nice and meaty.

I cleaned out all the stuff in the supra, checked all the fluids, and got ready to head down to the drag strip with the brand new tires. Then the supra wouldn't run; it would start and fire up, but immediately die. I couldn't find anything out of the norm outside of a broken water temp wire (gauge wire), so I fixed that and tried again. Still not running. I noticed on the maft-pro that my wide band was reading very rich at idle when I was just revving it to keep it alive (8-9 afr when running). Then I noticed that the wide band reading with the engine not running at all was 10 afr! Obviously not right. So I know the wide band is reading off, but when the engine was running, it was really rich; I could see wisps of black smoke and smell fuel faintly. So my big plan to head down to the drag strip is completely out the window.

Sorry for ranting some, just needed to share the experience a little :p.

Has anyone else had the LC-1 wide band just all of a sudden read way off when it was working great just before? I guess I'll start by taking it out and performing a free air calibration again. I'll get to it tomorrow, tired of the supra for tonight :p.

Oh, mod list:

Engine
(rebuilt head and bottom end)

Wiseco pistons
Eagle rods
Clevite bearings
ARP hardware
Cometic metal head gasket + ARP studs
5 angle valve job
SS 3rd valve cover

Drivetrain

Rebuilt transmission
SPEC stage 3 clutch

Exhaust

Modified 321 SS tubular manifold
Full 3" turbo back piping
Dual tip Magnaflow muffler
50mm HKS type external wastegate (10 psi spring)

Induction

Turbonetics 62-1 turbo (.68 hotside)
Full 3" aluminum intercooler piping
Godspeed intercooler
GReddy Type-S BOV
K&N filter
MAF delete

Electronics

MAFT-Pro with Speed Density and Boost Control options
Innovative LC-1 Wideband and controller
GReddy turbo timer
TEMS 3rd bar lock in switch
20 psi Autometer gauge

Exterior

MKIV TT rims

Interior

Wheelskins cover

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
Well it turns out that the vacuum line running to the maft-pro pressure sensor was split open right at the sensor, thus making the sensor read ambient air the whole time.