Bhg?

supraken

Jun 24, 2008
pensacola, FL
These are some pics, I think it blew in cylinder 6 but this is my first BHG so i was expecting more of a dramatic spot were i could pin point it exactly, just want your thoughts.

Attachments

• DSC00310.JPG
    DSC00310.JPG
    288.1 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC00315.JPG
    DSC00315.JPG
    358.5 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC00316.JPG
    DSC00316.JPG
    399.2 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC00317.JPG
    DSC00317.JPG
    394.5 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC00318.JPG
    DSC00318.JPG
    396.6 KB · Views: 26

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
supraken;1294341 said:
These are some pics, I think it blew in cylinder 6 but this is my first BHG so i was expecting more of a dramatic spot were i could pin point it exactly, just want your thoughts.

That is exactly what mine looked like when it blew. Mine went in the same cylinder at the same spot too.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
See where the copper is deformed on the exhaust side cylinder water jacket holes? (looks like 4-6 - hard to tell in the pics) Thats where...this one isn't bad...seen much worse.

supraken

Jun 24, 2008
pensacola, FL
i dont think that this has anything to do with the BHG but the spark plugs on the number 4,5, and 6 cylinders had oil on the tops and in the plug wires. is this some common problem with the mk. III or something and what is making it do this???

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
supraken;1296103 said:
i dont think that this has anything to do with the BHG but the spark plugs on the number 4,5, and 6 cylinders had oil on the tops and in the plug wires. is this some common problem with the mk. III or something and what is making it do this???
Yes, very common. Normally the valve covers leaking.

BHG FTL!

Jdub is right. By the pictures, it looks like the 4 and 6 went. By any means, a new HG, a gasket scrapper, and a set of ARP head bolts will get you going. Remember to change oil.

I fixed my leaking valve covers, by buying same length bolts with the same thread and a 10mm head from Lowe's. Instead of the stupid, stripping, can't get good torque down on, Philips heads. LOL I spent a whole 3 dollars. ;]

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Looks like 4, 5, and 6 went (5 looks the worst)...if you're gonna do it, might as well do it right :D

supraken

Jun 24, 2008
pensacola, FL
All right thanks guys i've got a new felpro gasket kit here and i have ordered ARP head stud and they should be here in the next couple of days, also i took the head to my local machine shop and its only gonna be $83 :biglaugh: for them to check for cracks and deck it if its not level. im gonna try the same thing as you with the bolts for the valve covers that sounds like a good idea and considering i work at a hardware store it shouldn't be hard to get them for cheap.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
They are going to need to deck that head. Well, I would be suprsied if you don't need it. Check the block for flatness. It can't be skipped, or you will be one of the do-overs.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Make sure you use a tap to chase the threads in the block if you are using head studs. Also if you replace the valve cover bolts with hex heads, make sure you use the proper inch pound torque wrench to install them. There's a reason Toyota used Phillips head screws there, its so people don't over torque them.

You can also see that the pistons where the gasket blew are pretty clean, i bet when you go to clean off the piston tops you will find the ones that blew are going to clean off very easily compared the the others.