BHG repair, now it wont start

fitchjc

Sep 6, 2012
ohio
ok, so im pretty much out of ideas, here is what has happened up to this point...

i have a 89 7m-ge. i blew the HG and it sat for about a year and a half. Finally got the time to fix it.

After putting it all together, i turn the key and....nothing. There is a click coming from the ECU down by the passenger side door, but thats it. So i assume the stock alarm system is cutting the power from getting to the starter. I tried EVERYTHING i could find online to reset the system, twice. finally got sick of dealing with it and just went up under the steering column and took it out. The security light on the dash no longer comes on, however nothing has changed. still just a single loud click from the ECU. Any ideas why?!?!?!

Secondly, we tried running a wire from the battery directly to the starter. She turns over, but wont start. She makes smoke, i know im getting fuel and spark. Its weird though, it will turn over and almost start, and then bog down. The only thing i can think of that we didnt do correctly is, we took the distributor out before we were supposed to. could this prevent it from starting? how would i correct this/check this?

random stuff, i have a new battery, spark plugs, wires. head the head milled. just used a composite gasket since i wasnt going to resurface the block and its not going to be boosted. torqued to 85 ft/lbs.

So my two big questions are, why isnt the starter getting power? and why wont it start when i bump the started from the battery? could the wire we are using be too small and not getting enough power to the starter? Any help would be appreciated. i dont know where to go from here!!

zby67

Nov 15, 2010
Texas
have you checked all fuses and the starter relay thats behind the passenger kick pan? also have you tested your ignition switch? i had mine go bad and would cause the starter not to turn over due to lack of connection not the key slender its directly behind it and plugs into the harness under the steering column. are all your grounds and the power wire to the starter tightened down? have you checked for shorts? have you checked to make sure your timing is dead on? when in dought refer to the Supra holy book. http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=IN&P=1

What do you mean she makes smoke?

fitchjc

Sep 6, 2012
ohio
Ive checked the fuses. Have not checked the starter relay, nor tested the ignition switch. As far as i know, all the grounds are in place, Although i still think its weird that something is grounded to the intake manifold. isnt that aluminum? I replaced the plug that attaches to the starter from the wiring harness, just to make sure it had a good connection. Double checked the timing, but wouldnt it still start even if the timing was a notch off? just run pooly? Have not checked for shorts. whats the best way to do that?

And i mean, when we bump the starter with a wire from the battery, it turns over and tries to start. Something must be combusting because it produces a little smoke. you can smell fuel. we pulled the plugs and made sure we had a spark.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
did you ground that one wire after removing the security module. i had to do it on my stepson's ge. can't remember which wire it was though.

fitchjc

Sep 6, 2012
ohio
yeah, i did. pretty sure it was the blue wire with the orange stripe. anyway, its grounded. However, it never was the security system at all. even with it taken out, its still doing the exact same thing. just one big click comin from the ECU

Smashey

Dec 29, 2010
Grande Prairie
Yes its aluminum and yes its a good conductor, both for heat and electricity. i would check the starter relay, sorry i cant be of much help.

wade3570

Jan 7, 2007
tallahassee, florida
I can't help you on the 'no start' issue. However, I too let mine sit for a long period of time before i could fix it. After doing the HG job and replacing many bits, it would just turn and turn and turn, but wouldn't start. Turned out to be that the gas had gone bad and gummed up an already old fuel pump. I read that it smoked a little but no start, so just sharing my experience. Good luck!

chrisisg77

Jun 19, 2012
los angeles
By any chance did they take the gears off when you got it machined? is the pin in the middle notch of the cam gears ? This will cause the timing to be completely off even if its at tdc and rotor pointing to spark plug number one . Dont let satan near your car. He is very evil.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
You also should verify your timing marks, #1 piston at TDC, rotor pointing at #1 plug wire, cam gears at the hash marks, and the crank mark at "0".

Do you have your ECU grounds connected on the intake manifold above the starter? Those wires will reach the starter btw.... Satan made me connect them on the the starter one time and it wouldn't start;)

SUPRAHUMAN

Mar 21, 2012
SoCal
wade3570;1874266 said:
I can't help you on the 'no start' issue. However, I too let mine sit for a long period of time before i could fix it. After doing the HG job and replacing many bits, it would just turn and turn and turn, but wouldn't start. Turned out to be that the gas had gone bad and gummed up an already old fuel pump. I read that it smoked a little but no start, so just sharing my experience. Good luck!

same problem. just finished hg job today and it will turn and turn and not start. did u get a new fuel pump or just put new gas? should 5 gallons be enough?

fitchjc

Sep 6, 2012
ohio
Ok, so i have been out of town and unable to work on it. back at it this weekend though. Here are my options. #1. double check the timing on everything. 2. the fuel is no good. do i need to replace the fuel pump if this is the case? 3. its the starter relay. how would i check this/replace this? 4. could it involve the nutreal saftey switch? could i bypass this? Anyone have any other ideas? everything is grouded. all fuses are good. let me know before sat. i need to get this thing up and going and out of my buddys garage

wade3570

Jan 7, 2007
tallahassee, florida
SUPRAHUMAN;1874983 said:
same problem. just finished hg job today and it will turn and turn and not start. did u get a new fuel pump or just put new gas? should 5 gallons be enough?
if that question was for me, then yes, i needed to replace the pump and filter and put in high test ...and still run high test till this day