BHG Repair Issues

CzA

Jan 15, 2007
Toronto
I just did the HG on my car, hooked everything back up and when i attempt to start her up she is leaking water (not using coolant) out of the exhaust pipe, and i can see water leaking from the rear of the engine by the exhaust manifold just south of cylinder six.

I had my mechanic look at it and he says the head is cracked, as that would cause the coolant (water in this case) to be A – leaking out the exhaust, and B- for it to be seeping through the head/block by cylinder six.

we used a straight edge to see if the block/head were fine (head is rebuilt, with just one summer on her and no apparent overheating((according to the previous owner, and rebuilt to stock specs)).

What do you guys think? IS that the only cause for this or are there other issues/possibilities too?

Also, i used a Stock Toyota HG, can it be reused? It has zero clicks on it and has been in for three days. or is it a write off too?

Thanks.......

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I wouldn't risk using the head gasket again, that's for sure. When you had the head off did you get it pressure tested at all? There can be cracks that you can't even see that will cause leaks. Did you check for leaks on all the lines back there by the union and the hardline just below the manifold? It is normal for moisture to build up and collect in an exhaust if you've got higher humidity and/or lower overnight temperatures. That will cause you to see some water dripping out the tail of the exhaust as the system warms up. I'd double, triple, and quadruple check to make sure you're actually dealing with water that's leaking from from the head and not something external. Ripping the engine apart again would be a big pain, especially if during the process you find something else that it could have been. If it does need to be done however, don't delay on it. Water in the oil is never a good thing.

CzA

Jan 15, 2007
Toronto
When i say water coming out of the tail pipe, i mean really coming out, for the 10 seconds she was rough idling “ 600-700 rpm, there was a decent little pond under my rear end of water. also i can see a a nice stream of water gushing out of the head by the first exhaust port by cylinder six. i put a flash light on itit looks to be coming fomr the head and not an external line.

I didn’t have it pressure tested as it came form a fellow supra member who claimed it was mint(as it was a fresh rebuild and did look MINT). I wont make that mistake again!!!

If it is cracked can it be fixed, if so is it worth it, or is the head done with?

Thanks.....

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Water is a product of perfect combustion.

You said your not using coolant and there is water out the tail pipe, what is the problem?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
mkiiichip;1585400 said:
Water is a product of perfect combustion in the catalytic converter

You said your not using coolant and there is water out the tail pipe, what is the problem?

I added to your statement. :)

CzA;1584437 said:
I just did the HG

That is likely the problem, based on the rest of your statements.

and i can see water leaking from the rear of the engine by the exhaust manifold just south of cylinder six.

There is coolant lines at the back of the engine, including a union bolt on the back of the head in the middle. It gets a copper crush gasket on top and bottom. Did you install new gasket? Verify it is dry at the union. Water can run down undetected and make it look like something else is leaking.

CzA

Jan 15, 2007
Toronto
Ok, im using water as my coolant. and this is not a normal amount of water coming from my exhaust, it is quite excessive. ill see if i can get a video of the water coming out form the exhaust and the head.