BG syncroShift 2 ??

m3rk

Mar 6, 2009
jersey city
Didnt find anything in search.. I just got this car running, and its been parkd for 6 months and who knows when this trans fluid has been changd. Trans feels really notchy,2nd gear is hard to get in too but no grind.. As a toyota tech, we get alot of free stuff, esp Bg stuff.. Snycroshift 2 did wonders for dsm's but what about for the r154 ? i have 4 quarts. Thanks

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
First of all, I am highly suspicious of any lubricant company that does not publish data sheets for their products and says a gear oil is good for all transmissions...there is very little info on BG syncroshift. It appears that Syncroshift is equivalent to GM Syncromesh...read this:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47457

RP Syncromax is the same type fluid...read this:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44485

Bottom line: Both Syncromesh and Syncromax are too thin...I highly suspect BG Syncroshift is the same. I would not use it.

StiCk3

Apr 25, 2009
->IN<-
^^ i put RP Synchromax in my car last year and didn't even run it for a week. It was nice and smooth at startup, but after about 10 mins of driving the shifting would get really notchy and was a PITA to drive. Drained the fluid and found lots of brass shavings in my fluid. :cry:

Replaced with RP 75W140 and feels great. It still gets a little notchy after about an hour or so, but i think it's mostly because of bad synchros (164k miles on it)

StiCk3

Apr 25, 2009
->IN<-
jdub;1304454 said:
Red Line 75W-140 is too thick...MT-90 is what you want to use.

I use RP 75W140 per recommendation of someone else running big power. My trans already has a lot of mileage on it and i need it to last for a while until i source a new one...in the next few years....

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
StiCk3;1305027 said:
I use RP 75W140 per recommendation of someone else running big power. My trans already has a lot of mileage on it and i need it to last for a while until i source a new one...in the next few years....

RP gear oils have a friction modifier in their formulation. You DO NOT want to run this oil in a R154 or W58 tranny. Your buddy running "big power" doesn't know a lot about gear oil.
Take the time to read the 2nd thread link I posted above.

If you want your tranny to last, dump that oil. A thicker oil will not help either. MT90 is what you want to use.

supraracer49

3rd Gen Life
Nov 20, 2006
WNC
Mt-90 is the way to go. I work for toyota as well. Lots of the bg stuff is great but haven't tryed the syncroshift. For the price get the redline stuff. BTW R-154 won't shift like one of those exploding DSM trannys. Its build to last and shifts like a rwd race tranny should so i wouldn't worry about it being a little notchy

StiCk3

Apr 25, 2009
->IN<-
jdub;1305048 said:
RP gear oils have a friction modifier in their formulation. You DO NOT want to run this oil in a R154 or W58 tranny. Your buddy running "big power" doesn't know a lot about gear oil.
Take the time to read the 2nd thread link I posted above.

If you want your tranny to last, dump that oil. A thicker oil will not help either. MT90 is what you want to use.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-and-maintenance/367231-royal-purple-synchromax.html

This is what i based my decision to swap to 75W-140. Works just fine.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
StiCk3;1305640 said:

The only post based on fact in that thread was #11...It's funny you went to the TRSM for the spec on the differential and ignored it for the tranny.

You still have not read that thread above, have you? That the friction modifiers in RP can (and will) damage the syncro's over time. That the friction modifiers make the oil too "slick"...the R154 needs friction for the syncro's to work properly. Tell me...how do you know it "works just fine"?

What about this?
Royal Purple said:
Max-Gear is an ultra-tough automotive gear oil. It’s designed to maximize power and provide unsurpassed protection to heavily loaded gears. It makes gears run smoother, quieter, cooler and longer without overhauls.
Max-Gear outperforms other gear oils because it combines the highest quality synthetic oils with Royal Purple’s proprietary Synslide[ additive technology.
Max-Gear is recommended for use in truck, motor home/RV, and automotive front or rear differentials, manual transmissions, and lower gear units of marine engines that specify use of an API GL-5 or GL-4 fluid. All viscosities of Max-Gear are formulated with hypoid friction modifiers necessary for use in clutch or cone type differentials. No additional additives are necessary.

You can use the "my buddy told me" technique of choosing gear oil if you wish. In fact, you can drive your car off a cliff...it is your car.

But, for anyone else that reads this: RP gear oil is a very poor choice for the R154 or W58 tranny. It's fine for the differential. Any gear oil that contains friction modifiers meant for a differential is not for use in our trannys...period. Oil that is too thick will simply rob power from the engine.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Not to mention the thicker oil will not flow through the transmission properly.

BG SynchroShift is a replacement for GM Synchromesh (as mentioned) - I ran it great in my Tremec T5.

That transmission can also use automatic transmission fluid, as that is what it is designed for.

BG SynchroShift will feel amazing in your r154, as your r154 slowly eats itself to death.

StiCk3

Apr 25, 2009
->IN<-
jdub;1305685 said:
The only post based on fact in that thread was #11...It's funny you went to the TRSM for the spec on the differential and ignored it for the tranny.

I have TRSMs for my car and a bunch of other cars and i know full well that the W58 trannies are recommended for 75W-90 or 80W90 gear oil.

You still have not read that thread above, have you? That the friction modifiers in RP can (and will) damage the syncro's over time. That the friction modifiers make the oil too "slick"...the R154 needs friction for the syncro's to work properly. Tell me...how do you know it "works just fine"?
I know it works just fine because i use it in my tranny and i have been for the past 10k miles with a noticable difference in shifting smoothness. Also
What about this?

Also in post #5 in your thread, you mention that the friction modifiers could in fact free up the synchros. You also mention that it's also a sign that the tranny is going out. Mine has been doing fine for 10k since i put in the RP, including lots of hard shifting and drag passes. It could still be on it's last legs sure, but it hasn't happened yet. I'll let you know when it does though.

You can use the "my buddy told me" technique of choosing gear oil if you wish. In fact, you can drive your car off a cliff...it is your car.

I have and so far it hasn't proven a problem. Don't get me wrong, im not trying to piss you off or anything, im simply explaining my experiences and that many others have tried it without problems.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
How about taking it from someone that's tried them all (like me).

I had a second gear grind that Royal Purple (tried both syncromax and maxgear) made a little better at first, but once I got some miles on the oil and especially after the tranny warmed up, it got MUCH worse to the point second gear would have to be rev matched to get it to go in.

Put MT-90 in it and it's been in for over a year now. Second gear DOES NOT GRIND AT ALL. Tranny never gives me issues.

It's your car, but if you know how a transmission works you'd know why adding friction modifier is going to hinder the function of the syncros.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
^^^ And, there's been several others here that had the exact same experience with RP gear oil.

StiCk3 - believe what you want, but your earlier posts made it sound like RP 75W-140 was the way to go...it's not. That includes any gear oil with the friction modifier already in it.

StiCk3

Apr 25, 2009
->IN<-
It's what i've been using and it's what i'll stick to for the time being. Again, ill let you know when the tranny fails and what caused it to fail. :)