better HG ?

bartlett_drifter

Nov 1, 2006
Memphis
I was wondering, what is the better HG Cometic or HKS? I know Cometic is used in alot of sr motors but i havent heard much about them used in 7Ms. This may be a stupid question but i couldnt find anything about this when i searched.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I consider HK$ to be pretty much the best MHG out for the supra, specifically the STOPPER series. There's a cost to having one (other than it being the most expensive MHG). You must have your block, rear timing plate, and head machined for 25 RA (Roughness Average) or less, have your mechanic do 20 or less just to be safe.

The Cometic HG is considered to be more "forgiving" than most MHG, the reason being is the RA spec for it is higher and easier to attain. This has been covered many times on here though. ;)

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Better for you or better in quality? HKS Stopper>HKS Bead Type=Cometic Bead Type= Titan Bead Type

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Depends on how much you want to spend and what your HP goal is. In all cases, use ARP hardware on a MHG.

If you're going for moderate HP, use a bead type...they work well. The Cometic is cheaper and, as mentioned above, you can get away with a little higher RA spec.

If you plan on pushing the big numbers, the HKS stopper is the way to go. It's the best IMO, but you're gonna pay for it.

Here's some detail on the differences:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=216396&postcount=5