Best Upgrade

SupraChrisMk3

New Booster
Feb 8, 2006
Salisbury, Vermont, United States
Ok, here's my question. I have an 89 N/A 5spd that I know that I will end up doing a GTE swap at some point in the future. I would like some advice on what would be the best "semi" buget upgrade that I would still be able to keep if I did the GTE swap. I already have a Pacesetter 2.5" cat-back and am leaning toward doing a R154 swap next. Everything else is stock. I just need some advice as to what would be the next best step that I could still use if I did the GTE swap. Thanks for the help.:icon_bigg

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
I say one of the best upgrades if you plan on staying N/A is definently suspension. If you aren't necessarily fast, at least you'll be able to take fast and sharp turns.

-Matt

rot 90na-t

slowest project ever
Apr 13, 2006
Westminster, CO
definitely suspenstion and brakes... im goin turbo as we speak, yet im utilizing my tokicos n h&r springs, brembo rotors, and plan on gettin sway bars and new bushings all around VERY soon... u really cant go wrong with some sort of suspension mods..

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
rot 90na-t said:
definitely suspenstion and brakes... im goin turbo as we speak, yet im utilizing my tokicos n h&r springs, brembo rotors, and plan on gettin sway bars and new bushings all around VERY soon... u really cant go wrong with some sort of suspension mods..
Word. Turbo setup is going down soon, along with all new suspension and brakes. It's almost gonna be like a whole new car.

-Matt

SupraChrisMk3

New Booster
Feb 8, 2006
Salisbury, Vermont, United States
What about changing out the W58 for the R154? My W58 is starting to feel its age. I'd like to split it up, do the tranny swap first and then do the GTE swap because I probably won't have the funds to do both at the same time. I definately want to swap out the tranny if I do the GTE swap. Is anyone out there running a R154 in a N/A, and if so just curious if there is actually any performance gain besides obviously just being a much stronger unit.

L

lanky189

dont bother swappig the trans right now...if anything buy it and store it until you're ready do do the whole thing... putting the r154 in while the engine is in the car is a pain...not impossible..just uncomfortable... the guys here are right...suspension and brakes...the two best mod areas to go at very little engine wise carries over from turbo to n/a

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
Im gonna be running the W-58 on my GTE lol. Other than being a stronger unit I dont think there is any gain. Alot of people complain that the R154 isnt as crisp as the W-58. But the R154 is a very reliable transmission.

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
If you swap in a r154 the gains will not be substantial in any car compared to the w58. If you are set on swapping to a r154 and then turboing your car then go ahead and buy it and do like lanky said and swap it once you swap the car to a GTE. But your money will probably be better spent on the GTE now, hell you will atleast enjoy it more than that new tranny. You wont need to swap until you hit about 300-350whp (atleast from what ive found) so if you do decide to get the tranny first, just sit on it until you buy the motor.

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
I've done the HKS Sport exhaust, the expensive K & N filter kit (FIPK or something like that), sway bars, shocks, 245ZR16 tires and NA>T.

Of course the best performance was the NA>T.
But for me, the best NA mod was the suspension upgrade (Tokico TEMS, F/R sway bars, and 245ZR16 tires). The NA won't gain significant HP and torque with any of the NA basic mods.

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
If your N/A has an open diff, try to source a LSD from a 87-88 Turbo. 3.90 gearing I believe. 89-92's were 3.73, and my old 87 N/A, which will soon have a 1JZ, is sportin' a 4.30 LSD. Great for off the line punch, but murder on gas mileage and top end speed, unless your'e rollin' tires that are considerably taller than stock! Don't waste your money on N/A mods if you are going to turbo the car though.:nono: Once you are boosting, you'll will just kick yourself!:biglaugh:

supra-addiction

Mar 26, 2006
hampton
rot 90na-t said:

your putting a turbo on a 7m-ge?
--->if i was to put a turbo on my 7mge
what are some things that i would have to change?
thanks.

Last edited: