Best Exhaust System for '87 Supra (Turbo)?

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
on my car i run the blitz nurspec and have been for years. its a great catback i love it. people complement the sound and look at events all the time. on my truck i have a custom mandrel bent 2.5 to a old flowmaster that was laying in my friends garage. search yzblaster on youtube and you can hear them both. as far as preference the truck is silent unless in boost. no drone. the blitz does drone some but i deal with it. i think its mainly due to the almost 3.5" piping and straight through design.

Redbeast89

Oct 17, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
My personal preference is the Tanabe Medallion Touring. Nice deep tone.

Attachments

• P1010355.jpg
    P1010355.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 41
  • My 89 Turbo.jpg
    My 89 Turbo.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 27

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1791730_1.jpg

p1791730_2.jpg

roundfinger

Supramania Contributor
Aug 23, 2006
Pensacola, Florida, United States
I like the more stock appearance of the dual tip kits. I've had both the HKS and Raptor racing on previous cars and liked them both, so did my family and neighbors. I even have a raptor racing exhaust sitting in my shed waiting for my next supra to tell you how much I like them. The HKS is a little quieter than the raptor racing. The raptor has a nicer/meaner growl but still tame compared to other exhausts.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
When I was in the research phase I was planning on getting a Raptor based on all the comments... Everyone is always happy with them.

I ended up getting a killer deal on a new Blitz NUR Spec that I couldn't pass up and I really couldn't be happier. I'm running the DM downpipe that was linked in post 9 with a test pipe and the Blitz on a stock CT 7M. I've heard it on a 1J and it sounds good there too. It can be a little loud at times without the silencer but I still barely get a second look from the cops. Orlando PD never had an issue with it and so far so good in Detroit.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
any more input on the tanabe medalion touring? I can get one for under 500 shipped, or a raptor racing which is my 1st choice. But for the money im tempted to get the tanabe...

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
The medallion is quiet at idle but it does flow. If you are looking for something quiet but will still flow when you start boosting, it is a good exhaust.

Nothing beats a 3 inch or bigger full flow exhaust though.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
im guessing the big resonator/muffler in the middle is what makes it not flow as much? Dont get me wrong i would love the dual tip raptor racing but for under 500 shipped im seriously considering it.. (tanabe)

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
If you don't mind (or prefer) loud, I had a BIC divorced downpipe -> 3" test pipe -> 3" version of the BIC Thunder exhaust with a Vibrant 3" in 5" can 4" out muffler and it was awesome. Such a nice sound, deep tone but still with some growl behind it. I got lots of complements on it actually. But do be warned...it was LOUD. I liked it, but it was definitely not for everyone, especially for a daily driver.

FlawLessHOVA

May 9, 2011
MA
Im running just a Down pipe right now. Just for fun(exhaust is in the works) and even though it is pretty loud it actually doesn't sound bad/ricer.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
FlawLessHOVA;1796096 said:
Im running just a Down pipe right now. Just for fun(exhaust is in the works) and even though it is pretty loud it actually doesn't sound bad/ricer.

There's a reason hot exhaust gases are vented out the back or the side...I sure hope you aren't burning up your undercoating....

MikesFixedRoof

Mar 23, 2009
Queens, NY
I've also had the Blitz Nur Spec cat back for about 3 years now. Got it from Horsepowerfreaks. Really nice system. My first choice would have been the RSR GT2 Ex mag due to its super straight through design and awesome angle the muffler sits at, but it was already discontinued. Even though the Blitz was really designed for Cali cars, I really didn't have any fitment problems. At first I had it bolted up to the stock DP & cat and it sounded good, but a bit muffled. about a year ago I (finally) I added the HKS DP and a 3" test pipe and boy does it sound better. It's a bit boomy inside with the windows up, but I don't care. The 7M's great deep growl really comes through. I swear it's louder inside the car. I got pulled over for it once, but a paddy wagon was right behind me leaving a light and it was a quiet side road at night so they must have been bored until I came along.