Best company to purchase an engine

Avicii

Nov 4, 2011
Next door
Hey everyone with tax time rolling around i have my mind set on upgrading from a NA to either a 1jz or 7mgte and i am wondering where to start looking, i know there is SM and Ebay but besides these 2 place's where else do you guys go searching for engine's that you can trust and has pretty decent deals? preferably i would like a place on the east to cut down on shipping cost's and maybe even be close enough to pick up since i live in Va. Also if anyone else is planning an upgrade and will have either engine up for sale in the next couple month's just drop me a pm or comment.

Supra NA-T

Total Annihilation
Nov 7, 2010
Leesville,La
anywhere you buy from online, you have a possible chance on getting screwed, but you would normally do a complete gasket swap and check to see if anything is missing or broke.

jdmspecengines.com
jdmofsouthflorida.com
jeimportperformance.com

to name a few.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
I've been told from a friend who has ordered a shit ton of motors that http://www.jdmenginedepot.com/ is great. He would blow up motors and just drop a new one in from them.

The only experience I've had was Tiger. I highly don't recommend them. I swear that there was a dead animal carcass in my spark valley. Everything metal was oxidized to straight shit. My motor runs without issue, but I wouldn't chance it again. It was definitely sitting outside in the weather for YEARS.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
The comments on here pretty much sum it up: do your research BEFORE you buy. I bought mine from some Importer that was based in Georgia, but then moved over to Galveston, TX. Can't remember the name, but they were a GREAT company to deal with. Unfortunately though, they are out of business, last I checked.

If I remember correctly, JDM Engine Depot, link listed above, has really good feedback on ebay. No matter what you buy though, it is a LOT easier to replace gaskets/parts when an engine is OUT of the car. Remember that. ;)

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
te72;1793348 said:
The comments on here pretty much sum it up: do your research BEFORE you buy. I bought mine from some Importer that was based in Georgia, but then moved over to Galveston, TX. Can't remember the name, but they were a GREAT company to deal with. Unfortunately though, they are out of business, last I checked.

If I remember correctly, JDM Engine Depot, link listed above, has really good feedback on ebay. No matter what you buy though, it is a LOT easier to replace gaskets/parts when an engine is OUT of the car. Remember that. ;)

Word.

I swapped over a lot of shit that I didn't expect to. Mostly due to Tiger sending me a piece of shit, but expect to replace basically every hose. Replace the whole clutch assembly, machine the pressure plate, and do any tearing apart before you drop it in.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I wouldn't trust a 7m from an importer.

But I got my 1j from Jdm engine corp and it was super clean inside and out.

CRsupraiii

Oct 24, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hey OP! Best of luck with your purchase.

I picked up a 1JZ through www.bestofJDM.com (Also JSpec Auto) who I believe is based in VA as well. Shipping was included, the only thing missing on the motor was a MAP sensor. If I were you I would call all of these reputable places (like you stated you were going to do) and make sure you take notes!! Get people's names so you can always speak to the same guy if you do have problems upon receiving your motor. Also be super specific on the phone... idk how many times I said "JZA70 SUPRA 1JZ MOTOR" and I got a Chaser engine.... No complaints though. Company paid for return shipping on the extended shifter housing R154 and had a replacement to me (free as well!) within a week of sending the tranny out! Sam at BestOfJDM is the man for hooking me up!

Just ask tons of questions, make sure they know they're not dealing with some undereducated dummy, and they'll probably be a little more inclined to give you a decent motor set.

- Joe
Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I have a rule. If I call them and I can't understand them, or they have broken english on their website or ebay ad... it's a deal breaker. I also never buy from a place that uses "stock" photos. I want actual pictures of the exact engine I'm buying. Compression test videos of the actual motor are nice too.

Shopping based on price is another thing you want to avoid. Don't assume that the place with the highest prices has the best stuff. My 1JZ was the cheapest one on ebay and it worked fine. I didn't buy it cause it was the cheapest, I bought it cause the place had good feedback and was in NJ, so I could drive there to bitch them out if they sent me junk). I had to replace a dented oil pan and a smashed ECU plug, but it was still a good deal. I bought a 3VZ for a camry a few years ago (well, my dad ordered it) and it was on the high end of prices. It got here and it was a bare longblock. I know some of the ads say "accessories aren't guaranteed"... but to ship and engine that had been completely cannibalized is bullshit. They put some nice silver spray paint over the dirt too. I assume this was to help hide the fact that the head gasket was blown. Never got our money back. Gaskets aren't guaranteed.

Avicii

Nov 4, 2011
Next door
wow guys amazing info here and i am taking notes on questions to ask and i will try to be specific as possible, i am in no rush so hopefully being patient will pay off on getting a great engine.

ifyouaint1sturlast

Banned Scammer - I'm whitemike.
Jun 14, 2011
Fort Myers/Cape Coral - Florida
Great experience with JDM-Online.com *AND* they honored their warranty no questions asked when they shipped me a motor with a blown turbo. They sent me the new one before they even got the old motor back. New motor is immaculate inside and out, and has 175 compression all around. Wasn't missing anything, AND the 2JZ came with the 40pin connector that most are missing. $2k to my door, can't complain. They put actual pics and comp test videos on their website too.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
i got my 7mge from tigerjapanese.com, it was okay tore it apart and it didnt look like it was a 30-40k mile engine prob a bit more.. It was an okay engine and i didnt have any problems.