Best clutch fan combo for 1JZ swapped Supra's?

Best fan setup for 1JZ

• Total voters

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
What is the best clutch fan setup for a 1J swap? I keep getting a couple different answers and I don't like the thought of running E-fans forever.
Post thoughts and pics

Tura_1JZ

Supra down the block
Aug 26, 2009
miami
Modified Lexus SC400 clutch fan w/ & 7M blade but you might not be able to run a bigger radiator. Driftmotion.com has it
yhatzee89;1922587 said:
What is the best clutch fan setup for a 1J swap? I keep getting a couple different answers and I don't like the thought of running E-fans forever.
Post thoughts and pics

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Tura_1JZ;1922617 said:
Modified Lexus SC400 clutch fan w/ & 7M blade but you might not be able to run a bigger radiator. Driftmotion.com has it

See I need something that allows me to run an aftermarket radiator, the car came with one but I don't know how much bigger than stock it is all I do know is that it's really tight between the engine and rad :/

Contrary to most instances, the thinner the better...

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
Tura_1JZ;1922617 said:

Pretty much this.

I'd rather have a smaller radiator with a clutch fan than a larger radiator and electric fans.

I flow enough CFM for 110+ degree weather. It is also enough to make passes at Deal's Gap.

supra1jz

Apr 14, 2008
Auburn, Georgia, United States
See on my 1jz I have an aftermarket radiator with e/fans and not once has it over heated I even had to turn down the setting on my e/fans cause the car would not warm up all the way with the settings I have now it run just right

Now on my 2jz swap I'm running a aftermarket radiator with a clutch fan setup they both work great for me the big diff was in price my e/fan cost over 400 for the right cfm and the clutch fan set its about 160 but both work great.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Get a 2jzge fan and clutch. You will either have to space the clutch out or trim the blade. I trimmed the blade. Gives you more than plenty amount of room for a bigger radiator.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
so far we have:
2JZGE clutch w/trimmed blade
SC400 clutch w/7M(GTE-GE?)blade but need to switch to a smaller radiator
E-fans with whatever you damn well please

swapping radiators isnt really an option right now for me :/

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
Tura_1JZ;1922617 said:

don't run this set up!!!! my buddy jordan had this exact setup... all brand new from DM and it blew up! after researching we found others with the same set up had similar issues.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...urious-But-Lazy-7M-owner-who-gave-Up./page157

post 1564 and 1570

Ls400 spins opposite of JZ, so when put on JZ it's fully locked and this is what can and in some cases happens.

supra1jz

Apr 14, 2008
Auburn, Georgia, United States
87supraguy;1922748 said:
don't run this set up!!!! my buddy jordan had this exact setup... all brand new from DM and it blew up! after researching we found others with the same set up had similar issues.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...urious-But-Lazy-7M-owner-who-gave-Up./page157

post 1564 and 1570

Ls400 spins opposite of JZ, so when put on JZ it's fully locked and this is what can and in some cases happens.

And seeing what happen in that post sucks and makes me happy i am using e/fans.

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
blackwidtan;1922758 said:
Running LS400 fan clutch with 7mgte fan blade with horsepowerfreaks mizu larger than stock radiator... No issues so far

how long have you been running it, just curious.

the guy in that thread was only running it for about a month or 2 before it flew apart. it just doesn't make sense to run a clutch in a direction it wasn't designed for. his fan was always fully engaged 100% of the time, which is not good for a clutch.

blackwidtan

Feb 27, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I've been running it for about 9 months now. My car is not daily driven. (2-3 days max if anything) I was well aware of the spinning and vibrating issues and I brought this up with the seller on supraforums. He said there wasnt going to be a problem and I have yet to have a problem.

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
His is daily driven. It's his DD. it doesn't help that he drives like an ass and tries to race everything that moves but still . Haha

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
My 2J with driftmotion mounts, ls400 fan clutch, stock radiator and GTE blade had clearance issues with my upper radiator hose and i/c piping. I went e-fans for this reason.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
yhatzee89;1923345 said:
My supra is gonna be a DD so would like something I don't have to worry about

Remind me to not go driving there anytime soon

Yeah, if you Google Deals Gap you'll see a lot of accidents. My original point was though, if a stock radiator and clutch fan setup can stay cool after a flogging on Deals Gap it can't be all bad.