Best 1 piece driveshaft

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
1wickedA70;1833161 said:
Thanks for the reviews guys..keep them coming.

Anyone experience vibration with their one piece at over 110mph? Right now I'm leaning towards the shaftmaster aluminum 1 piece

I think they get balanced to a certain max RPM. So let's say you had a 6.5k redline and your mkiii was auto, the overdrive gear is 0.705:1, so you're looking for a shaft that's balanced to 6500/.705=9219.86 RPM....do I have that right?

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
One safety benefit of a carbon fiber shaft is that if it ever does let go they disintegrate into a pile of fibers and won't damage much.... or so I've heard. The only one I've ever seen that failed was on a pickup truck, and it failed on the highway after it was crunched on a rock earlier in the day offroading. OEM chevy driveshaft. A truck going 45mph vs a car going 140 is a big difference though.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
1wickedA70;1833161 said:
Thanks for the reviews guys..keep them coming.

Anyone experience vibration with their one piece at over 110mph? Right now I'm leaning towards the shaftmaster aluminum 1 piece

I experienced it with multiple shafts from different companies, until I realized just how important and how precise shafts need to be balanced.. You really have to watch out IMO, and make sure the company specializes in that sort of thing. Some cars are far more tolerant in regards to these things, but my car is apparently rather picky.

The ones from Titan are great because Precision Shaft Technology makes them (incredibly good craftsmanship), and I've heard nothing but good things about Shaft Masters and Driveshaft Shop as well. Notice that all three are larger companies that makes tons and tons of these yearly, so they can't afford to screw it up, especially in regards to racing applications ($$$).

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
destrux;1833350 said:
The only one I've ever seen that failed was on a pickup truck, . OEM chevy driveshaft. .

me too... OEM Chevy van (91?) was an aluminum wrapped in CF... the CF allowed water and dust to become trapped between the layers and rub until corrosion wore it too weak and it tore, but the CF wrap kept it rather tidy with little to no extra chassis damage...

oh GM.... wonders never fail...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
A. Jay;1833165 said:
say you had a 6.5k redline and your mkiii was auto, the overdrive gear is 0.705:1, so you're looking for a shaft that's balanced to 6500/.705=9219.86 RPM....do I have that right?

Think in plain terms if you have to. If the engine is at 6500 rpm, and the output shaft is turning at less than 3/4 the speed of the engine, how would the shaft be spinning faster?

Eman14j

O help me, Oprah Winfrey!
Nov 7, 2008
Prescott Valley, AZ
+1 for shaftmasters they do great work with wonderful customer service. Plus you'll save about 100 or more bucks compared to those other companies.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Nick M;1833397 said:
Think in plain terms if you have to. If the engine is at 6500 rpm, and the output shaft is turning at less than 3/4 the speed of the engine, how would the shaft be spinning faster?

Think about it again. In overdrive the input shaft has to spin 0.705 times to spin the output shaft 1 time. The driveshaft spins faster than the engine in overdrive.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Supracentral;1832995 said:
I ran one of those in this:

If it can take 1,500+ RWHP with a 2 speed powerglide launching off of a trans brake, it can take anything.
Definitely not concerned about the strength of it, more concerned about the critical speeds. Then again, if you're looking at a shaft used on a car trapping higher than I'm ever likely to, I don't see a problem. Does it help with engine response though? That always seemed like another nice side effect to me...

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
destrux;1833350 said:
One safety benefit of a carbon fiber shaft is that if it ever does let go they disintegrate into a pile of fibers and won't damage much.... or so I've heard. The only one I've ever seen that failed was on a pickup truck, and it failed on the highway after it was crunched on a rock earlier in the day offroading. OEM chevy driveshaft. A truck going 45mph vs a car going 140 is a big difference though.

I guess you missed when Duane swept the quarter mile when his failed ;) lol. But that was caused due to a screw chewing into the side of it.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Nick M;1833397 said:

By your logic, the shaft would spin 3 times as fast as the engine in first gear.

jake8790;1833507 said:
Think about it again. In overdrive the input shaft has to spin 0.705 times to spin the output shaft 1 time. The driveshaft spins faster than the engine in overdrive.

Exactly.

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
www.ArizonaPerformance.com
hvyman;1832981 said:
I have a buddy that makes them. Steel. Love them. They make a noticeable difference. Don't know if I would want an alum one.
+1 for my vote.

Supracentral;1832995 said:
I ran one of those in this:

edit:Youtube vid

If it can take 1,500+ RWHP with a 2 speed powerglide launching off of a trans brake, it can take anything.
How long did you run it for? In my experience all the people going for numbers this big are replacing so many parts on their cars, that they probably wouldn't put that many miles on it before they replaced it.

destrux;1833350 said:
I wouldn't think the aftermarket value of a composite drive shaft would be there. I'm guessing the OEM's making a million of the same shaft to save money would be the only reason the OEM's would go with a composite shaft. That and maybe they balance easier.

My aluminum driveshaft on my little Z took a crap and wallered out the aluminum ears so that the U-joint cups would rattle around all loose in there. It ovalized the aluminum U-joint cups so I went with a steel one. Both were from local NO name driveshaft places, so maybe that was my issue. Then again, they probably all buy the same forged aluminum ends that accept 1310 U-joints, but who knows. All I know is mine lasted about 3 years of abuse/use. I definitely was not nice to it. One of my favorite moves is to find a V8 guy on the freeway, tell them to GO, and I build boost really low in 4th as Im still pulling them very slowly I bang 3rd in the meat of the boost without letting off the throttle, and Im off like a shot and it always has the same result.

In the other car the passenger is all excited, has a ton of questions, and is all friendly, the driver is really quiet with a frown on his face. LOL

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
A. Jay;1834228 said:
By your logic, the shaft would spin 3 times as fast as the engine in first gear.

Exactly.

Actaully no.

The drive shafts spins according to the ratio of the gear selected.

so in fourth being 1:1... for every engine 1 RPM the shaft spins also 1 RPM.
1st = 3.25
2nd = 1.95
3rd = 1.31
4th = 1
5th = .73

1st engine speed at 3250 = 1000 rpm drive shaft speed
2nd Engine speed @ 1950 - 1000 rpm drive shaft speed
3rd, engine speed @ 1310 rpm = Drive Shaft @ 1000 RPM
4th, engine speed @ 1000 rpm = Drive Shaft @ 1000 RPM
5th, Engine speed @ 730 RPM = Drive shaft @ 1000 RPM

put another way.

1st engine speed at 3250 = Drive shaft @ 1000 RPM
2nd Engine Speed @ 3250 RPM = Drive shaft @ 1666 RPM
3rd, Engine Speed @ 3250 RPM = Drive shaft @ 2481 RPM
4th, Engine Spede @ 3250 RPM = Drive shaft @ 3250 RPM
5th, Engine Speed @ 3250 RPM = Drive shaft @ 4452 RPM

Any questions?

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
figgie;1834244 said:
Actaully no.

The drive shafts spins according to the ratio of the gear selected.

so in fourth being 1:1... for every engine 1 RPM the shaft spins also 1 RPM.
1st = 3.25
2nd = 1.95
3rd = 1.31
4th = 1
5th = .73

1st engine speed at 3250 = 1000 rpm drive shaft speed
2nd Engine speed @ 1950 - 1000 rpm drive shaft speed
3rd, engine speed @ 1310 rpm = Drive Shaft @ 1000 RPM
4th, engine speed @ 1000 rpm = Drive Shaft @ 1000 RPM
5th, Engine speed @ 730 RPM = Drive shaft @ 1000 RPM

put another way.

1st engine speed at 3250 = Drive shaft @ 1000 RPM
2nd Engine Speed @ 3250 RPM = Drive shaft @ 1666 RPM
3rd, Engine Speed @ 3250 RPM = Drive shaft @ 2481 RPM
4th, Engine Spede @ 3250 RPM = Drive shaft @ 3250 RPM
5th, Engine Speed @ 3250 RPM = Drive shaft @ 4452 RPM

Any questions?

Yea, like I said, exactly. What part of my two posts on the matter made you think I didn't know that^? I was rounding, like Nick M did, because he wanted to think in simple terms.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
A. Jay;1834251 said:
Yea, like I said, exactly. What part of my two posts on the matter made you think I didn't know that^? I was rounding, like Nick M did, because he wanted to think in simple terms.

the none clarity of both of you (Nick M being Ambigous and you replying to his Ambigous statement which without ratio information, should have been called out prior to responding for clarity sake)

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I'm going through the posts to see where my typo is because this isn't the first time I've been explained something I've already proved I knew (happens to me outside of SM, too):

So I start...
A. Jay;1833165 said:
I think they get balanced to a certain max RPM. So let's say you had a 6.5k redline and your mkiii was auto, the overdrive gear is 0.705:1, so you're looking for a shaft that's balanced to 6500/.705=9219.86 RPM....do I have that right?

Ignore the "shafts get balanced to a certain rpm" part, because I don't know anything about that, let's focus on the ratio stuff. The overdrive in an a340e is 0.705:1...yep, I got that right...and let me recheck my math...9219.86 rpm in fourth gear at 6500 engine rpm, yep, that's correct.

Then Nick...

Nick M;1833397 said:

rounded because, for the sake of his argument (note that I don't agree with him), any number between 0 and 1 would do.

Then jake8790 corrects him...

jake8790;1833507 said:

and I reply to jake8790...

A. Jay;1834228 said:

...agreeing with him. Then...

A. Jay;1834228 said:

I reply to Nick M with a counter-argument, rounding to an interger I picked that was greater than two, in case he still didn't understand what jake8790 and I were saying.

Yea, figgie, help me, 'cause I've been misunderstood and I don't get why that happens to me so often.

EDIT:
figgie;1834263 said:
the none clarity of both of you (Nick M being Ambigous and you replying to his Ambigous statement which without ratio information, should have been called out prior to responding for clarity sake)

Ah, that makes sense. Next time, I promise, and thanks!

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
A. Jay;1834265 said:
I'm going through the posts to see where my typo is because this isn't the first time I've been explained something I've already proved I knew (happens to me outside of SM, too):

So I start...

Ignore the "shafts get balanced to a certain rpm" part, because I don't know anything about that, let's focus on the ratio stuff. The overdrive in an a340e is 0.705:1...yep, I got that right...and let me recheck my math...9219.86 rpm in fourth gear at 6500 engine rpm, yep, that's correct.

Then Nick...

rounded because, for the sake of his argument (note that I don't agree with him), any number between 0 and 1 would do.

Then jake8790 corrects him...

and I reply to jake8790...

...agreeing with him. Then...

I reply to Nick M with a counter-argument, rounding to an interger I picked that was greater than two, in case he still didn't understand what jake8790 and I were saying.

Yea, figgie, help me, 'cause I've been misunderstood and I don't get why that happens to me so often.

EDIT:

Ah, that makes sense. Next time, I promise, and thanks!

Nick M screw up with the 3/4 assesment.

then you try and lay into him that with his logic which is actually not logic but a simple math error if he is using the 5th gear to calculate, otherwise he is using 3rd to calculate which he is actually correct HENCE the need to be very clear on what ratio is being used.(multiplication instead of division) he would be spinning 3 times as fast.

How come I know that he multiplied instead of divided the engine speed by the ratio? Literally instead of having a freaking discourse on the stuff you posted... a simple. Hey Nick. You multiplied instead of divided. Done or, Hey Nick, Did you use 5th or 3rd? But no. instead you decided to really go for a dissertation on this whole thing. Zero need for that.

All due to mathermatical operand error which happens when it is not clear what is being argued (3rd or 5th in an R154 and to further add more confusion instead of using the A430 as you mentioned ) ;).