Bellhousing Oil leak..........again

Highnitro

Boostin' 4 life
Jun 18, 2007
Vancouver, WA
Hey,

first off some background info, i just had this motor rebuilt 300 miles ago. about a month after i noticed a large amount of oil was leaking into and out of the bellhousing. i made sure it was oil, and figured my rear main seal was shot already. well i pulled the motor and trans out and replaced the rear main. i made it i put it all together correctly. then i put the engine back in the car. i had it running for 3 min and noticed it was still leaking a large amount of oil in the same place. what else could be leaking in there? the top of the trans is clean so its leaking somewhere inside. i heard a rumor of an oil plug back there. is there one? im about to pull the motor so i figured id post and check everything people say.

Thanks in advanced,
Matt

Highnitro

Boostin' 4 life
Jun 18, 2007
Vancouver, WA
when i took it all apart the rear of the engine had oil all over it there was a clear and shiney trail, the bellhousing had alot in it as well. i did replace the input shaft seal when i did that just to be sure it wasnt leaking.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Was there oil on the rear of the engine above the bell housing?

Did you replace the gasket under the rear main seal housing?

Did you check for cracks in the rear main seal housing?

There is a threaded plug on the rear of the motor in the oil channel that runs the length of the block from the oil filter.

Highnitro

Boostin' 4 life
Jun 18, 2007
Vancouver, WA
im leaking engine oil, i did replace the gasket for the rear main seal cover, and its not leaking above the transmission. im starting to think its the plug in the back of the engine, my reason being the car only ran for 3 min before i noticed it, im thinking that it has to be leaking from a place where oil is pressurized, i cant see the rear main leaking that much that fast when there is no pressure inside the oil pan.

Highnitro

Boostin' 4 life
Jun 18, 2007
Vancouver, WA
ok, here are some pics, im pulling the tranny off right now so ill have a better looks in about 30min. this is what i found after running the car for 3min.

Top of tranny is all clean and normal.
p1117001_1.jpg

inside the bellhousing..different story. it is motor oil ive triple checked now.
p1117001_2.jpg

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
is that small PUDDLE!?!?!?!

my vote is oil galley plug then... cause 'somebody' left one out of my motor, and you couldnt believe how much oil can escape from that pen size hole. granted yours is just leaking, but thats a lot of oil.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
yes, there is an oil galley plug that could be leaking as you stated in your 1st post. its a 1/4 or 3/8 bsp pipe plug (dont remember which one) that has an allen wrench socket in it (its the one there). Looking at the back of the engine with the flywheel off, it will be on your right hand side.....

Highnitro

Boostin' 4 life
Jun 18, 2007
Vancouver, WA
Adam, i do all my own work now. lol. what really blows is that ive pulled the motor 2 times this month now. haha. oh well.

anywho, so i pull the transmission and all the other goodies off and found that the rear main and the oil plug we both holding oil. i did notice that i must have screwed up the oil pan gasket last time and now im in need of a new one. should i make a FIPG gasket, or replace it with a cork gasket?

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
Highnitro;1117274 said:
should i make a FIPG gasket, or replace it with a cork gasket?

Either will work if you do it right, supposedly the best product is Permatex Ultra Grey form-a-gasket, I have not tried that stuff but I hear it's good. I use a dab of blue Loc-Tite on the bolts.
Don't use straight silicone tho, I've heard it's a biach to get the pan off ever again.
(ask me how I know :))

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Highnitro;1117274 said:
Adam, i do all my own work now. lol. what really blows is that ive pulled the motor 2 times this month now. haha. oh well.

anywho, so i pull the transmission and all the other goodies off and found that the rear main and the oil plug we both holding oil. i did notice that i must have screwed up the oil pan gasket last time and now im in need of a new one. should i make a FIPG gasket, or replace it with a cork gasket?

Hey man, I'm pretty sure I met you at Centralia! Sucks to hear about your problems :(

How exactly did you install your rear main gasket? I made sure mine was clean and not damaged, new Toyota seal and gasket, seal had a bit of gasket shellac (permatex indian head) on the outside, and some moly lube on the inside, both sides of the gasket were also coated with shellac, then the bolts were properly torqued in place.

As far as the main galley plug, I *CAREFULLY* used teflon paste on the threads before installation, but not on the first few threads.

For the oil-pan, there is no gasket, i used The Right Stuff.

Good luck! If you have any questions you can send me a pm and I'll give you my phone number if you want, not that I'm an expert, but I've been through every part of my car and nearly every section of the TSRM by now, so I might be able to offer some insight :)