before and after dyno results

shaftmasters

Vendor
Oct 29, 2007
michigan
www.shaftmasters.com
Recently Shaftmasters manufactured and installed a one-piece aluminum driveshaft in Piratetip's Supra. We did the install at Pande's Performance Shop in Livonia, Michigan. We had Pande do before and after dyno tests to see what affect the aluminum shaft would have over the factory two-piece steel shaft. The average of engine torque(ft.-lbs) increased from 252 to 261. The average engine horsepower increased from 197 to 210. Pande felt these were good increases for this type of modification. Piratetip was happy with the results and felt it was a great modification! He said that he really notices the difference, that the car accelerates much quicker from takeoff.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Wow, didn't know that it would make that big of a difference. That's some good stuff. How much does your 1-piece aluminum d/s weigh?

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
suprahero said:
I'm definately getting one because I need all the torque I can get............:rolleyes:

Hey, Only the 7m guys can crack on themselves! :biglaugh:

Definitely looks like a good product, in the other thread the Critical speed was 11 thousand something rpm, im not sure if anyone replied but that should be high enough to please everyone right???

shaftmasters

Vendor
Oct 29, 2007
michigan
www.shaftmasters.com
nosechunks said:
Hey, Only the 7m guys can crack on themselves! :biglaugh:

Definitely looks like a good product, in the other thread the Critical speed was 11 thousand something rpm, im not sure if anyone replied but that should be high enough to please everyone right???
The original two-piece shaft weighed 32 lbs. the aluminum replacement shaft weighs 11.5 lbs.
Robert

shaftmasters

Vendor
Oct 29, 2007
michigan
www.shaftmasters.com
MRSUPRA said:
How much torque can this dieveshaft take? Is it stronger than the stock driveshaft?
According to Wallace Racing's web-site the torsional yield for our 3.0 inch diameter, .125 wall aluminum tubing is 3633 ft.-lbs. Your factory tubing is rated at approximately 2517 ft.-lbs. of torsional yield.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
BlackMKIII said:
Wow. Suddenly I want one. O_O

You should. Its definitely worth it and real easy to replace. I actually have a Steel 1 piece and that makes a world of difference to me. ( 14 lbs approximate weight.)

good information here man. Thanks.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
At first I was wondering if the lightweight jawsgear d/s I had was helping, and now I know it helps for sure, so I'm glad I bought it :D

shaftmasters

Vendor
Oct 29, 2007
michigan
www.shaftmasters.com
Ma70.Ent said:
At first I was wondering if the lightweight jawsgear d/s I had was helping, and now I know it helps for sure, so I'm glad I bought it :D
We only wish you had bought it from us instead. How much did you pay for it? Our shaft goes for $349.00 with free shipping in (CONUS) continental us.
Robert

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
shaftmasters said:
We only wish you had bought it from us instead. How much did you pay for it? Our shaft goes for $349.00 with free shipping in (CONUS) continental us.
Robert

I bought my lightweight steel d/s for 320 + shipping, which was around 350 bucks :D I bought it about a year ago, before you came here

shaftmasters

Vendor
Oct 29, 2007
michigan
www.shaftmasters.com
Ma70.Ent said:
I bought my lightweight steel d/s for 320 + shipping, which was around 350 bucks :D I bought it about a year ago, before you came here

We wish we were on the forum a year ago also. For the same amount of cash we could have provided an aluminum shaft that is lighter and rated for higher torsional yeild.

Steel .083 wall shaft = 2517 ft.lb
Steel .065 wall shaft = 2007 ft.lb
Aluminum .125 wall shaft = 3633 ft.lb

If you ever have the need for an aluminum shaft we will be here.
Thanks, David

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
shaftmasters said:
We wish we were on the forum a year ago also. For the same amount of cash we could have provided an aluminum shaft that is lighter and rated for higher torsional yeild.

Steel .083 wall shaft = 2517 ft.lb
Steel .065 wall shaft = 2007 ft.lb
Aluminum .125 wall shaft = 3633 ft.lb

If you ever have the need for an aluminum shaft we will be here.
Thanks, David

I went with steel because if I went aluminum it would have been around 450 bucks, and also I heard that aluminum couldn't handle as much as steel could. According to what you said, that's wrong?

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
That is awesome numbers for that upgrade, did your customer mention the revving of the motor and how much better it was? It's only $350 and where are you located? I bet the numbers would be even greater on a higher hp car too.

shaftmasters

Vendor
Oct 29, 2007
michigan
www.shaftmasters.com
Ma70.Ent said:
I went with steel because if I went aluminum it would have been around 450 bucks, and also I heard that aluminum couldn't handle as much as steel could. According to what you said, that's wrong?
Our 3 inch diameter .125 wall shaft is rated higher than the 3 inch diameter steel shafts because of the difference in wall thickness. If you went with a 3 inch diameter steel shaft that was a little thicker the rating would be equal or greater than our aluminum shaft but would also add alot of extra weight. Our aluminum shaft weighs 11.5 lbs.
Robert