BC Cam issue

BLACKCAT

May 24, 2007
BHG
Broke as I was doing the final tightening sequence (3rd last bolt), as per repair manual order & torque, whilst adjusting shim sizes :(
(measured shim clearance, removed cam, adjusted some shims & proceeded to re-install cam).
Have used the same procedure on many stock 7M Toyota cams without any issues.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I've had the 264 small core cams for years making over 600 rwhp with no problems at all. Are those not BC cams? Are Brian Crower different from BC? For some reason I can't remember.

BLACKCAT

May 24, 2007
BHG
Yes they are Brian Crower 264's, around 7 years old.
Bought when they first came on the market & had the issue with the dizzy/cps being out of sync by around 10 degrees.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
BLACKCAT;2033722 said:
Have used the same procedure on many stock 7M Toyota cams without any issues.

Just so you know, this does not validate your claim from a logic point of view. I know it is money lost, but you are not the first to break a camshaft.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Seen many threads like this with many different cam companies. It's usually because of how it was tightened down. Big cams and stronger valve springs don't help either.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Nick M;2033733 said:
Just so you know, this does not validate your claim from a logic point of view. I know it is money lost, but you are not the first to break a camshaft.

Yeah, but it does suck when you follow the directions per TSRM and it snaps. If I did all I could correctly on my part, then I'd be on the phone calling BC. No company puts out 100% top quality parts. There will be some defects, casting flaws, forging imperfections from time to time. Just explain what happened, and see what they tell you. They just might help you, give you another at cost, or laugh at you and tell you to jump in the lake. You never know.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
Ive owned many sets of BC cams. None have done that. One set came in cracked (both I and BC agreed probably dropped during shipping) but they warrantied it no hassle. BC is a good company. Call them and see what they say.

BLACKCAT

May 24, 2007
BHG
Have emailed them to see what they say.

Bought & installed stock 7MGTE cams today & set at 0,0 on the adjustable gears.
Strangely it only pulls 16" vacuum at idle, thought it would be more, and my tune would be all over the place as it was specific to the BC264 cams which had more lift & duration.

http://s156.photobucket.com/user/toyotasucks/media/ecu.jpg.html
Ignore the A/F ratio as I have no wideband fitted.

Anyone played with the stock cam settings to obtain more power in the mid-top range?

On the Suprastore website they state: "Start the cam gear setting with +3 degrees advanced and -1 degree retarded."
I assume they mean +3 on the exhaust.

The cams have a total of 9 degrees overlap so with these adjustments nearly at that is wiped out which means the cylinder pressure would be greatly increased.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
BLACKCAT;2033822 said:
Anyone played with the stock cam settings to obtain more power in the mid-top range?

It has been done. Don't forget, the big support for these cars is 20 plus years past. The gains were not huge (not my car) but they exist.

BLACKCAT

May 24, 2007
BHG
Received a reply from the company stating that they will replace the cam, even though it is out of warranty.
Impressed with their quick communication & understanding.
Should have contacted them in the first place.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
BLACKCAT;2033924 said:
Received a reply from the company stating that they will replace the cam, even though it is out of warranty.
Impressed with their quick communication & understanding.
Should have contacted them in the first place.
Yea...instead of putting them on blast on a public forum before trying to resolve it with them

Atleast you came back and explained the outcome and gave them alittle shout out for service

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Suprapowaz!(2);2033781 said:
No company puts out 100% top quality parts. There will be some defects, casting flaws, forging imperfections from time to time. Just explain what happened, and see what they tell you.

Even Toyota.