Battery Relocation Kit / Custom - looking for Ideas

fonz87

89 Turbo!!!!
Nov 17, 2007
Streamwood, IL
Hey Guys,

Looking for ideas for locating my battery to the Trunk, looking for pictures of what you did with the battery relocation and the wiring running to the front and what Electrical products used.

I swapped a 2JZ in my car and would like to clean up the engine bay a little this winter.

Thanks

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
Use large bolts and big washers or a doubler plate underneath the mounting bolts for the box to spread the load. Sheetmetal screws will not hold the battery in place in an accident, and you don't want a battery flying towards the back of your head.

Aside from that, there is a guide on here somewhere about proper wiring. You will need an externally accessable battery cut off switch if you want to race at most venues. This can be a rod-activated switch mounted inside the cabin, or a switch mounted directly to the exterior. Behind the license plate is a good spot for this switch, as you can simply take your plate off when you go racing.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
For the wire, Dont buy CCA (copper clad aluminum). I used 2Gauge CCA wire (didnt know it even existed until i investigated voltage drop) and i had horrible voltage drop. Voltage would drop down to and average about 9.0ish volts (according to ProEFI) while cranking. Swapped it out to 0 Gauge welding cable that cost about twice as much and i gained about 100RPM while cranking and voltage never dips below 9.5 and averages just over 10.3-10.5 volts. It doesnt sound like a lot but 1 volt in a 12 volt system is 8.3%. Car starts WAY better now. Dont forget relays that run fuel pumps and injectors get funny around 9 volts.

I bought 100 feet total. 50 Black and 50 red. I ran both the positive and ground to the front of the car and grounded the battery directly to the engine block. Out of the 100 feet i bought i had about 5-10 feet left over. Though i did wire in a batter kill switch at the rear of the car also. could have saved maybe another 5 feet of red if i hadnt.