battery relocation help

JNasty

i drive fast cars (supra)
Jun 25, 2005
Jacksonville fl
ok so here is the deal...i relocated my battery to the trunk with 0 gauge wire..
ran the 0 gauge from the battery to a 200amp breaker

from the breaker to the starter

then the starter to the alternator

then from the alternator to the white wire that comes from the engine bay fuse box..

after the positive was ran i grounded the motor with the same size wire and put a couple other ground wires from the block to the frame with 0 gauge wire...

when i hook up the battery it starts smoking and the negative gets really hot after just a few seconds and the key isnt even switched .. what did i do wrong.. i put gromets everywhere that the wire goes through the body and metal and nothing is touching..

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
What did you do with the fuseable link (smaller gauge wire) that used to be at the positive terminal?

The small wire (fuseable link) goes to the starter, or all the way back to the battery (either one works.)

Remove the wire you installed from the starter to the alternator, actually, just hook up the alt how it was before.

JNasty

i drive fast cars (supra)
Jun 25, 2005
Jacksonville fl
thanks for the help but i got out the old trusty multimeter out and started probing around until i tracked down the issue and it was a broken plastic washer on the starter and was making the starter ground out so i just put a new starter on it and now its perfect... thanks for the help