battery arcing help

suprakidd

Feb 11, 2011
Glendale, Arizona, United States
hey guys when i connect my battery post either neg then pos or vise versa it arcs hot enought to melt peices of the batt post and send it flying...

my assumption is that i have a neg wire touchig a pos wire somewhere

things ive done since last start: wired in another male plug for my cps. (same kind of plug, colors matched and i verifed that they where is the same positions)

rewired 1 wire on my o2 sensor

in stalled a gauge cluster

process of elimantion that ive done to solve problem: disconnect cps plug, o2 sensor, and disconnected 89+ inj resitor with boost sensor (my cars an 88 with a stock green/yellow harness)

any ideas guys?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
If this is happening, you will need to check all the wires leading to a fuse. It cannot be shorting out after a fuse, as it would pop the fuse before anything melted and going by your first post, you didn't say if any fuse popped.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Try taking the ground off the black and see if it still happens.

If same try a different battery.

Did you do anything with the fuse box?

Anything on the engine harness is fused would have popped a fuse before shorting the battery.

Also is the pos going to pos and not ground.

suprakidd

Feb 11, 2011
im 99% sure i was connecting the pos pos to pos and neg to ground.

i only unpluged the wires going to the fuse box and pluged em i after said repairs.

dont think any fuses poped i know the fuses that you can see in from the top didnt because i looked and they werent il check the other fuses..

thanks for your replys.. its apprecated

suprakidd

Feb 11, 2011
also tryed to connect the batt again.. and still showers sparks...

idk why its doing this.. its a new battery too bought it ten minutes before the issue arised.. dont have any spares or anything...

cant return batt now because the post are so destroyed..

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
suprakidd;1806616 said:
lol ricky bobby i dont have any other batterys.

No buddies that have running vehicles willing to let you try?

Have you tried the arcing battery on anything else that uses 12V? Even a test light?

hidenplanvew

Feb 4, 2012
Colorado
You can still return the battery, just tell them whats been happening or just play dumb.... Try hooking the pos wire first then the neg... They might of messed up the lead core in the battery when being rebuilt (most batterys are just rebuilt).

suprakidd

Feb 11, 2011
thank you guys for all of the info and help..

the problem ended up being the power wire to the starter was making contact with the housing on the starter.. lol

tweaked it away from the housing and VOILLA

no more arcing..