Baffled

SupraMaster

Pure Street Racing
Mar 24, 2008
Washington
www.facebook.com
I am having a problem with a no spark issue. At least that's what it sounds like.

Recently I replaced the oil pan gasket and when I was finished I tried to fire it up, but to no avail. After re-checking timing numerous times I figured I would replace the plugs and wires because they needed to be done anyway.

I ended up replacing the plugs with the Bosch Platinum+4s, plug wires, and a new battery. While I had everything apart I decided to replace the injector O-rings.

I have checked all fuses, relays, etc. I have also pulled codes. Initially I got a code 41 (TPS) it has been fixed. Now I am getting code 24 (AFM). I checked out the AFM, igniter, distributor per TSRM and they are all within specs.

The car will crank, but not fire. The fuel is detonating due to pressure, not spark. Due to the fact that everything related to the sparking cycle checks out, I am blown away by what the possible cause could be.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

I am off to work right now but I will return in the morning when I get home @ 4ish.

Illusive MA70

Sep 4, 2005
Las Vegas
umm isn't that tool used to show the intensity of spark....and well maybe it will show if there is ANY spark at all, which I think could help you in your search for a solution. correct me if I am wrong because I don't know much.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
SupraMaster;1036958 said:
That product is used to detect misfires. It also requires the engine to be running while using it.

I appreciate the thought, but it would be of no use in my situation.

Mike

Actually, they are used to diagnose a no spark condition. Does the engine have to be running in order for there to be spark?

Technically, you're having a misfire condition, just on every cylinder.

Illusive: If there is spark, the light will flash. If there isn't, it won't. Pretty simple tool, and every tool box should have at least one, if not a couple different ones.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
jetjock;1037643 said:
No probably about it. Some people have to learn the hard way I guess...

You could have simply said: "Engine need not be running. It will detect spark."

Some people dont know as much as you. Get over it and at least respond with a keyword that might help the guy.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
suprarx7nut;1037689 said:
You could have simply said: "Engine need not be running. It will detect spark."

Some people dont know as much as you. Get over it and at least respond with a keyword that might help the guy.

some people also dont read links they click on and say they did.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
tlo86;1037694 said:
some people also dont read links they click on and say they did.

link provided earlier said:
Product Description
Product Description
Lisle spark tester will test spark plugs, wires and coils without puncturing the wire. With the engine running, place the grooved end of the tool over the plug wire, the bulb will flash to indicate spark.

I believe he read the link. ;)

jetjock;1037700 said:
I wasn't referring to the spark tester. Besides, this guy has a history of posts that make it obvious he's not teachable. Not going to waste my time. You do it. I'll just correct him when he's wrong.

If I didn't know any better and was shown the link above, I'd have the same reaction that the OP had.

Even more from THE LINK PROVIDED:
reviewer said:
I was looking for something that would quickly indicate that there was a spark by simply turning over the engine. This device requires that you start the engine in order to use it. If you are not getting a spark, you probably won't be able to do that, hence you won't be able to use the product. I guess I will revert to the tried and true method of simply using the distributor wire and touching it to an engine bolt.

Now how can you expect him to read that and not respond the way he did. :nono:

I've always had great help here, but I keep seeing others getting smart-ass comments to questions from the same people that help me out. :dunno:

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Well, since I didn't read the link I'll grant you your point. Just that I do know better about the gadget and so does cuel. The guy asks for advice, gets it from a professional and knowledgeable mechanic, then rejects it out of hand. If I take his reply in the context of his other posts, and not having read the link, it comes across as a rebuke to someone who tried to help him. Lets call it it my bad.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
jetjock;1037728 said:
Well, since I didn't read the link I'll grant you your point. Just that I do know better about the gadget and so does cuel. The guy asks for advice, gets it from a professional and knowledgeable mechanic, then rejects it out of hand. If I take his reply in the context of his other posts, and not having read the link, it comes across as a rebuke to someone who tried to help him. Lets call it it my bad.

No worries here. I can understand it being frustrating when people ask for help and get it, but dont listen.

Not sure why I'm defending this guy, I dont even know him, but it irks me when this stuff happens to people who are trying to learn. People get told a lot of bullshit on the net and when you're learning its VERY hard to tell the good from the bad.