Bad news

corylee316

until it goes boom
Aug 17, 2006
Moscow, IA
I left for the Army 2 months ago. Right before I left my beauty died on me. I found out that it was the timing belt that shredded. The guy that is working on it while I am away says that I have valve damage. I would like to hear from some of you guys to see if that is even a possablity. I don't knwo what the clearence is between valves and piston when things aren't in time. I don't have the time or money to monkey with it myself so I am relying on the wrench and you guys for solid advice so I can determin the best possable course of action. If it costs too much for me to fix I am going to have to sell it. I am not finacially stable enough right now to go through a top end full rebuild. Thank you in advance for any help you can spare my way.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
^^^yup. Unless a keeper came out or a spring snapped or the block and head have been machined too many times or a stroker kit's been installed or you're running after market pistons... etc.

If the engine's stock he's in it for some free cash.

Perhaps, ask for pics and post them up here?

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
My timing belt shredded while going down the road at 60mph. However, the motor is non interference, lucky for us. No thing should have been damaged at all unless something else broke.

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
just because he "says" that your valves are damaged... is a crock of shit :)

i got stuck in a town an hour away cuz my coolant hose blew (the one behind cam gear cover, above water pump) and i had no tools so i took it to a shop to get an estimate... they told me $300, cuz they had to remove the water pump, timing cover, etc etc etc.

My friend ended up letting me use his garage quick, and the part was $5, i had to get a new rotor cuz the metal thing fell out , that was $4. So total was $9, and 20 minutes of my time.. :)

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
If it has bent valves, it'd be easy enough for him to prove without removing the head. One or more sets of valves would sit lower in the head then the rest. So, with the cam lobes pointed up on that cylinder, there should be a big gap(relatively speaking) between the bottom of the cam and the shim. Enough to see light through easily. You should be able to see it in pictures.

corylee316

until it goes boom
Aug 17, 2006
Moscow, IA
Thank you guys for this info. It's hard for me to get to a comp to find any info and evne harder for me to get to the guy that's working on it. I will put a call in and see what I can come up with. I hope that I can have it fixed before I get out of AIT here in Ft. Jackson. I got 10 weeks to get it up for me to come back to Iowa. If anyone else has any input go ahead and put it out. I will check back when I get a chance.

corylee316

until it goes boom
Aug 17, 2006
Moscow, IA
Good news for all. She is back up and running again. It was just a timing belt. I soooooo missed my car while I was gone. I hope that it makes it to NY all right.

marc3

canadian blood
Jul 19, 2006
quebec,canada
he shoulded even be touching your car if he hasn't already looked it up to see if it's an interference engine or not!! tell him to put down the ratchet , and move away from the car ...slowly!