Bad Gas

Ohsnap06

You know how I roll
Apr 22, 2008
Cleveland,Tennessee
Hey guys, I've been kind of wondering about something lately. So, on one side of my town around the mall are like 4 different gas stations. I always put 93 oct in and never any less unless forced to. So my car can run perfectly fine but occasionally if I get gas in that area it runs like complete crap when it hits boost.. It starts just jerking back and forth in second gear and all the others it kinda just doesn't run near like it should under boost.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this same thing with getting crappy gas. Because, I'm not sure if that's what it is. It only happens when I get gas on that side of town though. It runs perfectly fine with some good gas on my side of town

DangoAZ

Driver
Jun 13, 2007
Flagstaff, AZ
Kind of sounds like the proof is in the pudding. You've already sold your own solution... stay away from the bad stations!

Octane # is not the only thing to be concerned with as far as gas goes... The "name brand" companies put additives in their fuel to help it burn cleaner and leave less deposits on your internal hard parts. No-namers generally do not (hence the cost savings?).

My advice: Stay away from cheap gas. It's not worth it in the long run. Also, read up on this forum about additives. There are some out there that aren't just snake oil (Red-Line and Techron come to mind). I religiously put Red-Line SI1 in my car. Read this: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38753&highlight=fuel+additives

Ohsnap06

You know how I roll
Apr 22, 2008
Cleveland,Tennessee
DangoAZ;1213378 said:
Kind of sounds like the proof is in the pudding. You've already sold your own solution... stay away from the bad stations!

Octane # is not the only thing to be concerned with as far as gas goes... The "name brand" companies put additives in their fuel to help it burn cleaner and leave less deposits on your internal hard parts. No-namers generally do not (hence the cost savings?).

My advice: Stay away from cheap gas. It's not worth it in the long run. Also, read up on this forum about additives. There are some out there that aren't just snake oil (Red-Line and Techron come to mind). I religiously put Red-Line SI1 in my car. Read this: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38753&highlight=fuel+additives

Thanks dude! Yeah I was going to ask a few months ago what was wrong with my car but over time I've found out it's certain gas stations. Crazy stuff

DangoAZ

Driver
Jun 13, 2007
Flagstaff, AZ
No problem. I used to drive a '65 mustang that would ping like you wouldn't believe when I filled up with cheap gas. I'd have to keep my foot out of it for 1/2 a tank and top off with some good quality high octane before it quit. That's how you learn...

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
considering the manual says 87 is acceptable....

detonation with a side of knock retard wont be noticeable like you have mentioned... less seat of the pants power MAYBE.