Bad 560cc Injector. Finding the bad one ?

Northbaysupra

BAY AREA MKIII
Mar 19, 2010
Petaluma
So im pretty sure my one of my injectors is not functioning right , MY car runs wired it has this small small miss. i have checked every thing, from tps tom mas to spark and my coils and also plugs . I had a couple of techs look at it too from toyota . they also think it the injectors.
So . How do i find the bad one?

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
Kill one cylinder at a time by either pulling the plug wires off (pita 3000 pipe) or pull the injector clips one at a time, if one only affects the motors idle when pulled compared to the rest that is the cyl that has the problem. Also a stethoscope on the injectors will let you listen to what they sound like, if there is one that is not clicking or not clicking loudly then thats probably your problem. Lastly you can pull the injectors and do a flow test.

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
IMO you have a couple of options in checking the injectors and it would run in two stages.

The 1st, is you can use a stethoscope, an auto one if you have it or you can make a crude one with some hose and a solid object plugged on the end. Listen to each injector at idle and see if you can tell a difference in the rate in which they are opening and closing (duty cycle). Then listen to each while revving engine to where you feel the miss and see if there rate remains consistent while increasing with engine speed.

If you find one that is obviously different after running through sequence a couple of times, then good chance you have your culprit (though could also be wiring to that injector)

2nd stage would be to remove the injectors and take them to a injector shop and have them flow tested, if there is one that has an issue should show up, when I have mine tested they tested for the following : flow rate, variance between injectors, a static test, 3msec test and 6msec test

I would not assume they are causing your missing issue though, but IMO worth checking them if they have not been tested before or it has been a long time...

---------- Post added at 07:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 AM ----------

LOL Metaphysico beat me to it, what I get for walking away from desk after starting a reply :)... though added another good suggestion also that I missed...

Northbaysupra

BAY AREA MKIII
Mar 19, 2010
Petaluma
Ok so after taking them all out i went through the tsrm and found how to check injectors . after hooking up tubes and gas plus 12v i had a testing system. Now after testing them i found 2 of the injectors to be bad.! they just got red hot not even dripping gas.

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
Northbaysupra;1603818 said:
Ok so after taking them all out i went through the tsrm and found how to check injectors . after hooking up tubes and gas plus 12v i had a testing system. Now after testing them i found 2 of the injectors to be bad.! they just got red hot not even dripping gas.

That would be a problem, out of curiosity what did the resistance of the coil on those two read? Are they is spec per the trsm?