Backfire between shifts???

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
Ive noticed after installing my Apexi SAFC (older 5 button model) that I have intermittent backfires between shifts. AFR's under WOT go no higher then 11.5-11.9 and some have seen what seems to be dark black smoke, fuel smoke I presume... so maybe Im just loading up between shifts?
Mods are stock CT @ 9-10psi, stock BOV, 3in turbo back exhaust, Apexi SAFC, AEM UEGO, K&N, FMIC and piping.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
First, your stocker is not a BOV its a BPV, and are you sure its working correctly? Have you been experiencing any compressor surge? All the noise is, is unburnt fuel igniting from the heat of the exhaust so somehow you have too much unused fuel in between shifts. If you are venting to atm. on the stock BPV then that is your problem.

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
Ok BPV then, and yes it still works I have two that operates fine switched them just to make sure. No compressor surge. The BPV is not vented either, still in the stock location. I assumed as much on the unburnt fuel igniting just dont know if that was normal or somthing else...

EDIT: I have pulled fuel out of the car using the SAFC this is my settings. I only turn 5800-6000 RPM max cause after that it seems to fall off bad. And even at stock settings it still does it.

Idle: 0% stock
2400: -10%
4000: -15%
5600: -20%
7300: 0% stock

Last edited: