AW11 MR2s?

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
I've noticed that quite a few former Supra drivers have found themselves now in the drivers seat of a AW11 MR2. Seeing as my hunt for another MK3, isn't going too well, I'm consider going for this as it's awfully local, and cheap :).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1989-TOYOTA-M...hash=item160267663825&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

I understand that the 'cog' in the window costs a LOT to replace (I believe you have to buy the complete mechanism from Toyota which costs £100/$200 here!), but will the window continue to function (badly), or will it need to be replaced?

What about the Oversteer problems I've heard. I'd call myself an 'enthusiastic' driver, but I am 17 so don't have masses of experience. Is a AW11 going to kill me?

Another concern is space, I'm a pretty big bloke. I fit in MK2 MR2s and Miatas just fine, but AW11 seems tiny in compassion. Also, how difficult are these to get in and out of, as I have a pretty bad back which could rear its ugly head.

Oh, and 2nd gear pull? I HATE the way that my E30 has no power in second gear, you can floor it and it will go NO WHERE.

My buddies reckon that a $600 AW11 is going to be a maintenance nightmare considering that ones in great shape pull in $3000 - $6000.

Thoughts people?

Oh, and what PCD are the wheels? I want to know if my refurbished 14s from the E30 will fit :naughty:.

cnewingham

Sep 4, 2008
New Braunfels, TX
aw11 is a BLAST to drive. its a freaking go cart with sheetmetal. I bought mine for $2300 from a man who has had it in there family since 88. They are great cars and very reliable. I pulled the motor and trans in about 2 hrs from my 89sc donor car.

I say do it