Avoiding Software Piracy (free, legal photoshop emulator)

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
This was a response to a recent post requesting info on how to get free photoshop. Software piracy is not cool, so:

If you want to get a LEGAL program that does not pose the virus risks that torrent does, get THE GIMP from download.com. It does about 90% of what Photoshop does out of the box, and 100% of what people use it for normally.

THE GIMP is a free program and is excellent.

I have Photoshop CS2, CS3 and The Gimp, and other than the fact that people I work with strictly used PS files, I would be able to use the Gimp for all of my needs.

A couple of tips for installing the gimp: You need to install the GNK run-time environment for it to work, so don't forget this step! - Just read the instructions at download.com for this - it's not hard.

IMPORTANT: during the setup process the installer is going to ask you what file types you want the GIMP to be associated with. Be absolutely sure that you don't select any file types. (the same is true if you decide to do PS).

Mar 22, 2007
Murfreesboro, TN
yeah gimp is a good tool! i didn't find out about gimp until 3 months after i bought cs2 but i think i still wouldve used photoshop because my job is mainly photoshop and thats what alot of people demands. i think its a good beginners tool before you get into photoshop.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
MK_to_the_3rd said:
yeah gimp is a good tool! i didn't find out about gimp until 3 months after i bought cs2 but i think i still wouldve used photoshop because my job is mainly photoshop and thats what alot of people demands. i think its a good beginners tool before you get into photoshop.

I don't think The Gimp is just a beginners tool; there are a ton of plug-ins, including one that creates a GUI that emulates PS.

As far as functionality, there are some differences; but the Gimp isn't really lacking in any way. The main place where PS shines is the availability of technical support programs, books, etc.

It is just as easy to create graphics, edit photos (which is the REAL purpose of PS), etc in the GIMP.

The program will certainly suffice for what most people use it for.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Syris said:
is there any tutorials on how to use The Gimp program to put different wheels on cars?

There are a number of gimp tutorials out there. You're not going to find something specifically titled "how to put different wheels on your car", however.

The best way to start is to get gimp and play around with it. You can look up photoshop tutorials as well, because many of the features in photoshop work the same way in gimp.

The lasso tool is your friend.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
For anybody looking for a good, free paint program:

Deep Paint is available on download.com.

It is not nearly as capable as Illustrator, but if you want a really good paint program with tons of extras, here you go!

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Gimp has one of the most horrible user interfaces ever created. It can still get some things done, but it isn't very intuitive to me. Apparently there is also "Gimpshop" which is Gimp made to imitate Photoshop, but I haven't tried that.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
swaq said:
Gimp has one of the most horrible user interfaces ever created. It can still get some things done, but it isn't very intuitive to me. Apparently there is also "Gimpshop" which is Gimp made to imitate Photoshop, but I haven't tried that.

^^^ I have heard that before, which is why I mentioned the PS emulator plugin availability.

I can't figure out why people think the stock UI is "Horrible". It really isn't bad at all. Most of these programs have "Horrible" UI's because they have so many features packed into limited space. PS interface isn't that good either (but get's a tad better with each version); The reason people like PS's UI is because they are used to it.

It's all about learning where the features are, as is the case with most of the professional-level software I use.

Plug-ins are key for both Gimp and Photoshop. It's very important to know how to use them. If you don't know how, you aren't going to get the full benefit of either program.

It's important to remember we're talking freeware vs. expensive software. It's amazing to me just how much the GIMP does and how well it does it. The original post was in response to a bunch of people on here using torrent sites to download PS illegally. Well, they were using if for sigs, wheel chops, etc.

There is no point in doing something illegally and exposing yourself to the risks of torrents if you have a great, free alternative!