Autometer with factory cable

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
Im going to build a custom dash and have all of my gauges except the speedo. Im tryin to find out if i can use an Autometer with the factory 1988 speedo cable. Has anyone done this before? Has anyone use a different A/M gauge in their setup? Thanks ahead of time.

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
Im in the midddle of molding mine as we speak, and i plan on using the autometer in dash electric speedo. You need an output that feeds to the TCCS, the electric speedo has that capability, im not sure about the mechanical one. you can call autometer and they will set you up with an adapter... runs around $90

O try doing a little searching, there is a good amount of info covering this subject

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
raredreamz;1156343 said:
yes its just an adapter my friend did that on his supra and it worked very well and i think he got his from jegs for about $40

Have a part number?

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
frontierguy25;1157021 said:
Where in TX are you?

Well my car is in Alington. But im currently working out in Canadian Tx. It sux real good up here. Google it. Its out there. Where are you at?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
TheNewRed;1155957 said:
the electric speedo has that capability, im not sure about the mechanical one.

So let me get this straight, the autometers output is EXACTLY what the TCCS is looking for? So far it has been the same answer and always from me.

http://autometer.com/download_instruction/1029A.pdf

Is it a 5v or 1v signal? Digital (Square) or Sinusidal? Of course you can always plug it in and see what happens ;) Hopefully no magic smoke appears!

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Txsupra;1160312 said:
Well my car is in Alington. But im currently working out in Canadian Tx. It sux real good up here. Google it. Its out there. Where are you at?

I'm in the HEB, NRH area.

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
I know this is a bit off topic, but if I'm not mistaken marlin crawlers (they do off road trucks and whatnot) they have an electronic speed sensor adapter that works for our cars. You just pull out the cable and put the new deal in, and voila, electronic speed signal. I dunno if that'll help you or not

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Last I knew, it doesn't work well on our cars as causes tons of RF interfearance...

Have to do a search, but it might have been on SF...

c_ronius

1jz 4Runner
Jan 2, 2007
Tampa, FL
www.rsworld.com
ihiryu;1161245 said:
I know this is a bit off topic, but if I'm not mistaken marlin crawlers (they do off road trucks and whatnot) they have an electronic speed sensor adapter that works for our cars. You just pull out the cable and put the new deal in, and voila, electronic speed signal. I dunno if that'll help you or not

see post #9...

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
The Autometer that im talking about is a cable driven set up. There is no electric signal. I guess what i need to know is, what the size of the factory cable is. Im out of town on a job or id just put the mic on it.

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
frontierguy25;1163523 said:
I'm over here off Rufe Snow and 820 Right off Mid Cities BLVD.

What do you do?

Im a Landman. I work in the oil and gas field. I do leasing and title work. As for now, I just work and read threads to keep my sanity.