Auto trans replacement questions

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
My auto recently started having pump issues and started to slip. I am looking to replace the transmission with another used trans. (straight swap) I was wondering which year/model trans would be best to go with. I had shimmed accumulators on my old one and will probably do the same to the next.

Reason I ask is because I have heard the later models would hold more torque. Also have heard different things about the 1jz auto's. I can swap the speedometer gears and tail-shafts if needed. Any ideas on which is the best to start out with?

Thanks
-Stu

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
What year is your car? Do not shim the accumulator. Yes, I have read the long SF thread. So what. Make sure you are not low on fluid. It is better to have the valve body reworked.

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Nick M;1980718 said:
What year is your car? Do not shim the accumulator. Yes, I have read the long SF thread. So what. Make sure you are not low on fluid. It is better to have the valve body reworked.
Car is an 88. Making around 400rwhp. Are you saying the shimmed accumulators actually hurt longevity? I may be putting a GE trans in the car to get it into storage until I put a GM trans in the car.

If I do end up going the toyota route, which trans would be the best starting point?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
redhot91gt;1980821 said:
Car is an 88. Making around 400rwhp.

That is definitely more than Aisin Warner had in mind back in 1988. You really need to have it rebuilt if it is slipping. If you have IPT do it, it doesn't matter what you start with. It will be the strongest it can be. A few here have done it, and it stands up to the abuse.

Shimming any spring is not the best way, changing the spring is. This is because metal has "memory". It could bind. If you don't shim it real far and it doesn't bind, then great. And all that does is reduce Toyota's reduction in shift shock which was comfort in the form of light slipping. The trans still needs more hydraulic force in certain places.

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Nick M;1980941 said:
That is definitely more than Aisin Warner had in mind back in 1988. You really need to have it rebuilt if it is slipping. If you have IPT do it, it doesn't matter what you start with. It will be the strongest it can be. A few here have done it, and it stands up to the abuse.

Shimming any spring is not the best way, changing the spring is. This is because metal has "memory". It could bind. If you don't shim it real far and it doesn't bind, then great. And all that does is reduce Toyota's reduction in shift shock which was comfort in the form of light slipping. The trans still needs more hydraulic force in certain places.

Alright thanks for the explanation. I will probably put this car on the backburner for a little bit till I have the right amount of funds for either a complete rebuild or GM swap.

To be fair to this transmission, I have had this thing around that power for a couple of years at least and it took the power pretty well. I even had a 3500 stall in it at one time, which is what I believe broke the pump.

I removed the pump from the trans and saw part of the pump body had broken off. I think the trans clutches are still alright but I wont risk just swapping the pump, because I'm afraid that metal is stuck somewhere.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
redhot91gt;1980988 said:
I removed the pump from the trans and saw part of the pump body had broken off. I think the trans clutches are still alright but I wont risk just swapping the pump, because I'm afraid that metal is stuck somewhere.

That would be like changing 4 main bearings and honing 3 cylinders. Good call.