Auto Tranny Solenoid #2 Replacement

thesupe87

ArenaCreative.com
Jun 13, 2005
USA
www.arenacreative.com
I am not getting any voltage reading from my #2 solenoid (error code #63) and I've diagnosed it all to every plug and electricaly connector that I can physically get to. The wiring is all good.

Is the solenoid hard to remove/replace, besides just dropping the pan on the tranny? Do you have to take apart any of the valve body on the transmission itself to get it out?

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
It's been a while since I had an a340 apart, but i'm pretty sure you can replace the #1 and #2 solenoids just by pulling the pan, no need to pull the valve body or anything else.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
thesupe87 said:
I am not getting any voltage reading from my #2 solenoid (error code #63) and I've diagnosed it all to every plug and electricaly connector that I can physically get to. The wiring is all good.

Is the solenoid hard to remove/replace, besides just dropping the pan on the tranny? Do you have to take apart any of the valve body on the transmission itself to get it out?

What exactly is your transmission doing or not doing? We've been having transmission problems for a while, but I think I've got it narrowed down to the valve body. I was just wondering how your transmission is shifting...........lol

thesupe87

ArenaCreative.com
Jun 13, 2005
USA
www.arenacreative.com
shifting like its in manual shift mode, with the ECT removed.

L is 1st
2 is 3rd
D and OD are 4th

So stupid. I have to put it in 2nd to be in 3rd and then once I get up to 35, 45 mph I put it in D.

thesupe87

ArenaCreative.com
Jun 13, 2005
USA
www.arenacreative.com
Thanks guys. It just doesn't make any sense, though - when it's really cold, and I don't warm up the car - when I just back out of my garage and go...it works perfectly. Then later in the day when the temperatures are warmer, the tranny acts up again. Will a solenoid on its way out act like this?

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
Mines doin the same damn thing...interested to hear responses...

When it's cold, the tranny runs its balls off, once it's warm it won't rev over 3krpm, even though the motor is (or is trying to) revving higher...

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Easy as hell to remove the solenoids - it's one bolt, after the pan is dropped.

If you need one, I've got 2 good sets of all the solenoids :)

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Turbo. Targa. Life. said:
Mines doin the same damn thing...interested to hear responses...

When it's cold, the tranny runs its balls off, once it's warm it won't rev over 3krpm, even though the motor is (or is trying to) revving higher...

mines the exact oppesite, cold it wont rev past 3k, once its warm its fine. the error code i got was i Think #1 selenoid connection severed. coulda been #2 now i forget.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Ha, alright, lemme get something better than the car with no nose on jack stands - I'm having the nose repainted (hopefully, my paint guy can get to it before this weekend) - I'll put it back together and shoot you a pic this weekend :)

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
OT... I was working on my beloved flood damaged 99 tacoma, and found that the lockup clutch solenoid was bad. I went to look in my junk supra to see if I could get a solenoid from the A340 in there... Turns out it was a direct fit. The solenoid from the supra was just 3 times heavier and twice as big.

thesupe87

ArenaCreative.com
Jun 13, 2005
USA
www.arenacreative.com
That's good to know. I have an 87 NA, and I'll be trying a solenoid from an 88 Turbo - I'm hoping and praying that it's the same part #...

I am pretty sure that it should be close enough. Usually 86-88 uses all the same.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...re=8412&Page=1
MEG983A.gif

The part numbers are right here. From the dealer, I got P/N 85420 22080 (at least the 85420 number matches up with the diagram.