Auto Tranny Query

Marcenator

Marc T.
Apr 29, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Was out to the track this past weekend with my 89 turbo and did a best time of 15.2xx on 4 out of 6 passes. I found my 60 ft times were consistant at 2.5xx and was wondering what i might be able to do to help that. My car is pretty much stock auto with shimmed wastegate with estimated 8 to 9 psi, electric fans and no a/c. I know there are alot of things I need to do to the car to get faster times, ie. intake, exhaust ect. but money and time are always an issue of course. Just looking for a few easy tips and suggestions to get into the 14's. I had a blast out there for my first time racing and am looking to do better next time out. Keep in mind I am not looking to go out and spend all kinds of money right away but do have plans to build more hp as time and money will allow(and the wife of course.lol) Intake and exhaust will be first on the list as well as boost controler. A 5 speed conversion is also in the works as i am acumulating parts slowly for that but it will still be some time before I am ready to do the swap. The car is not my daily driver and is just for fun(midlife crisis has kicked in lol). Not looking to go too wild on it but I would like to be able to kick a little SRT-4 ass hehe. I love the style and feel of the car and looking to have alot more fun with it. I hope to get it on the dyno sometime next month so i have a baseline to work with over the winter. Thanks for any input.

Steve_N

Mar 31, 2005
Louisville KY
www.cardomain.com
In adition to the mods you plan to do I suggest you service the tranny. Complete flush n fill using a synthitic fluid such as RedLine, Royal Purpal or at least the Mercon 4. Also add a tranny cooler. They arent expensive & are easy to install. Get one rated at 24000+ GVW. Running the 1/4 puts alot of stress on the car so make sure things such as heater hose's, belts, break's & break fluid etc. is in good shape. Practice is the onlything that will improve your reaction times, as for the 60ft practice & mods to the car. To help on the 1/4 mile time since your auto you can easily build boost off the line. Launching with 8-10 lbs of boost will help greatly. To do this hold the E- break up, press the break & Gas pedel. You will build boost & rpms w/o spinning your tires. You will need some time to practice to get it down.

Marcenator

Marc T.
Apr 29, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Thanks for the reply. Ya i was trying to do the brake boost thing but i wasnt getting much time at the light to build boost haha. Hence the bad reaction time also. The E brake is a good suggestion tho. I was worried about the car moving on me and causing me to possibly red light while building boost.