Auto & 5spd wastegate actuators...

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Quick question... are the wastegates actuators on the automatic and 5spd equipped cars different? Because isn't the stock boost on the autos a little bit less than on the manuals?

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
what else limits boost other than the pressure being applied on the wastegate actuator in order to open it.. isn't it self contained on the turbo housing itself?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
EPC shows one part number for the turbo assembly (oddly enough, there is a pre 89 and an 89+ number...)

computer can adjust timing, ect. to modify boost pressures...

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
so that would be the difference between the auto and m/t ecu's?

I'm asking because I'm using the motor, harness, and turbo out of an auto, but running it all off a 5spd ecu... with an aftermarket boost gauge that read around only about 5.5psi at full boost... even after shimming the wastegate i'm having to use MORE washers than most people have to use... right now i'm at about 8psi with 5 washers.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
the awnser is load
if i rememebr correctly,

the load on the engine with a m/t car is greater since the auto uses a torque converter that multiplies the power making it easier to turn for the motor.

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
ah then maybe my wastegate actuator spring is a little bit worn out.. or maybe my boost gauge is off a bit.. I'll have to test the actuator tomorrow!

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
if it's the stock boost gauge it's probaly off,

thought mod's also make a difference on how much boost your car will make.

my bpu car will run 10psi on the wastegate alone. stock ct26, and the stock 5spd turbo i just picked up so far has ran 4/5psi in second gear shifting earily 5k,

car is very slow in compersison to my bpu car.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The automatic will not make as much "boost" as a manual in stock form. The torque converter is a fluid coupling, and as such, has slippage.

So yes, the automatic car will not be loaded as much.

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
no it's an aftermarket boost gauge... I'm going to compare it to my mityvac maybe it will tell me if it's off or not..

So since I am a 5spd I should have been making more than 5.5lbs of boost? Regardless of my ecu/wastegate/wiring harness etc.

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
well i'm running a full 3" turbo back exhaust... no cats or resonators. Oh, and the motor has 5,000km on it.. it's brand new.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
with what i have done i dont see nothin less then 10psi?

my brothers will run at 8-10 with full 3inch running stock intercooler and pipes.
maybe there is some thing wrong with your turbo ??

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
hehe... just replaced my spark plugs today.. noticed the 3 and 5 plug wires were swapped.. the numbers where reallly worn on the coil packs. Checked the tsrm as I was doing my plugs and noticed the PROPER order for the plug wires.. now it hits about 9psi and its scorching hot outside (runs much better too).

I'm hitting fuel cut early so i'm thinking I have a boost leak somewhere, i'm also reading fairly low vaccum (about 16psi) so I think I have some leaks..

Going to go to home depot and make a pressure tester for boost leaks. and take out my mityvac and test for vac leaks!