Austin Hill Country Cruise (10/16/10)

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
Greetings ladies and gentlemen! Just wanted to let you guys know that the Toyota Celica group of the Texas Big 3 (Houston, Austin/SA, DFW) are organizing an Austin Hill Country Cruise and are opening an invite to all who would like to attend. The planned route (<--clicky) is roughly 2 hours long (give or take) and will take us through Marble Falls and Lime Creek.

The set date is Oct 16, 2010, but within reason, we may be able to adjust the date to accommodate some people. For now, date is set.

Basic itinerary is:

Place: Austin Texas Hill Country
10:30am : aim for arrival
11:30-1:00 : Meet, greet, show off mods, GTFO
1:00-1:30 : Fuel time
2:00 : START CRUISE BABYY
5:00 : Finish cruise and decide where to have dinner, PHOTOSHOOT
6:30 : Dinner

For the most part, we usually play things by ear as the day progresses, so if you have ideas or recommendations, then please do post them. During the course of the cruise, we will make stops from time to time for photo ops.

For those looking to leave Saturday morning, the Houston meet spot will be at the HEB at the Barker Cypress exit off of 290 around 7/7:30AM and roll out is no later than 8:00AM. Time is tentative until everything gets finalized. Austin rendezvous point is being determined at this time.

#1 RULE:

- Jacka$$ery and douchebaggery on and off the road is NOT permitted. Almost 90% of the roads we will be on are 2 lane roads with blind hills, corners, and possibly very steep drops on either side of the road. For the SAFETY AND RESPECT OF OTHER DRIVERS (OURSELVES AND BY-STANDARDS INCLUDED), we DO NOT allow passing up slower drivers. If you do attempt this and do end up wrecking in any fashion, you are SOL and we are leaving you behind. You have been warned.

Some things to consider:

- Either have a hardy, hardy breakfast and/or pack a lunch and plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated if necessary.

- If you have 2-way radios with a wide radius, please do bring them as they have a quicker response than cell phones.

- Bring enough money to cover your expenses for the day/weekend such as fuel, food, and other expenses you may encounter.

- When you're out there, drive to the best of your abilities and what you are comfortable with. DO NOT attempt anything you are uneasy with just because you saw so-and-so do it. Again, we will be on very narrow roads that allow very little room for error.

- And finally, remember to have fun out there and drive safe! Be mindful and respectful of other drivers not only in our group, but also of the civilians. You wouldn't want some douchebag running your family member off the road and possibly endangering them, would you?

[I will update this thread as soon as I get some more info, if not, you are more than welcome to view this thread and chime in]

CT26smoker

Banned
May 25, 2010
Houston
NgoFcukinWay;1611100 said:
we DO NOT allow passing up slower drivers.

So how will starting position be determined ?
Early bird gets the worm ? or last lap times at TWS ?
If you are stuck behind a grandma driver, can make for a long day.
Ask to pass by a quick blink of the lights OK ?

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
are you asking in regards of when we're on the highway/normal roads or when we start going through the country side? If you meant by the normal roads, then yes, pass and drive safely accordingly. If anyone gets stuck at the light, then we will pull over to a shoulder or parking lot to allow those to catch up. In regards to the country roads, with slow pedestrian drivers on the road, either a.) the person will move aside to the shoulder and let us pass or b.) we usually hang back and give that person a 10-15 second gap to give them an opportunity to turn off the road if they need to and/or to give us some room to enjoy the road.

slopra

Formerly tsavenged
Jan 15, 2010
San Antonio, TX
So is this taking place of the other hill country cruise? I forget who organized it before but he got in a wreck and someone totaled his supra and he has a vette now or something...anyways he was the host and that was a badass cruise

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
I'll try and make it out. need a break job on my car, but I'll try my best to make it.

Travis this is not the supra meet I think they are still working on that one.

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
This is a totally different meet. The last time we joined them, there was a lot of wreckless driving. We haven't joined them since and have been doing things on our own. Could maybe explain the mentioning of someone's wrecked vehicle.

slopra

Formerly tsavenged
Jan 15, 2010
San Antonio, TX
I really wanted to go, I saw the videos. I didn't hear of any reckless driving, it wasn't wrecked during the cruise.
But whatever, I'm down for sure :)

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
tsavenged;1612210 said:
I really wanted to go, I saw the videos. I didn't hear of any reckless driving, it wasn't wrecked during the cruise.

If you go, I'll meet up with you in San Marcos and ride up to Austin together. May be we can get David and Miguel to go.

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
tsavenged;1612210 said:

it wasn't wreckless-wreckless, but people were passing as the 2-lane roads went uphill, so you couldn't see if someone was coming up the other side of the hill. If there was a by-standard coming up the other way and someone was passing, it would be very difficult to maneuver out of that situation not only for the passing driver, but the others around him. You wouldn't want someone ruining your drive and causing you to wreck your car because of their choices, would you? :) Like I said, it's a safety issue and i'm sure no one would be dumb enough to video themselves passing up someone unless they fast-forwarded the video to skip it.

Again, safety is a big issue on these hills. The roads are 2 lanes! meaning that there is 1 lane going one way and the other lane is going the opposite direction. Most of these roads will have steep drops on either sides of the road and on top of that, there will be other by-standards using the roads. Depending on where we go, the road may even drop down to a single lane bridge assuming we get the chance to run through Lime Creek itself.

These are some so-so shots from when we went back in November, but it'll give you a slight idea of what to expect if you've never been.

15740_10100150352938384_8303017_59225456_3705660_n.jpg

This is what some of the roads may be like. Again, very narrow.
15740_10100150352983294_8303017_59225462_1065777_n.jpg

Here we're at one of the longer bridges along Lime Creek.
15740_10100150361231764_8303017_59225787_2991013_n.jpg

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
No need for any more safety tips. We are all big boys and am sure none of us want to wreck our rides. Heres a pic from the last meet over 75 cars and no problems.

p1612924_1.jpg

aerojock

Sep 11, 2010
Austin
Were is the meeting spot in Austin going to be? Can I bring my MKII?

You had better have some deer wistles on your car, that time of year there are a lot of deer running around. I hit one several years back in our van. That stinking deer ran across five lanes of traffic to hit us. I never saw it because of a setting sun.

Jim

slopra

Formerly tsavenged
Jan 15, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Its still going down they just forgot about SM. There's a link at the bottom of the original post hyperlinked in the word here...