ATTN: 2JZ and 1JZ Soarer Swaps: Fuel Shutoff Safety Switch

Dr Tweak

Hey everyone,

After a recent discussion here on the forum I put forth effort into working with an automotive electronics company on developing a Fuel Shutoff Safety Switch for 2JZ and 1JZ Soarer engines.

What is it?

The Fuel Shutoff Safety Switch is a small electronic module that turns a fuel pump relay (on the MA70, the "Circuit Opening Relay") on or off based on RPM input. Since it will only turn the pump on while a tach pulse is being read, it will shut the pump off should the engine stop running. This is how the factory ECU functions and is an important safety feature.

Why is it needed?

The stock ECU already has this function built-in, but the 2JZGTE ECU, and the 1JZ Soarer and Chaser ECUs, do not have it. They rely on a separate ECU (the Fuel Pump ECU) to turn the pump on or off. Because of this, people who have been swapping these engines for the past several years have simply been connecting the stock relay to a toggle switch to manually turn it on, which obviously isn't ideal.

If you have a JZA70 1JZ, you do NOT need this, since the JZA70 ECU has the fuel pump control circuit.

Availability and Pricing

I'm happy to announce that the first round of these modules is ready for use. The price is $99 plus $8 shipping (in the US) for customers who have had their wiring done by us. For the time being, we are extending this price to everyone until further notice.

Wiring the device in is quite simple, and we will provide full instructions and support. Wiring involves a 12v switched power source, ground, tach input, and relay signal.

Questions or comments, post them up! I put this thread in the 1JZ/2JZ section so that everyone that it applies to could see it :)

-Dr Tweak

Last edited:

Slow_Sc3

I beat bikes dude
Apr 2, 2005
Maryland
Dr Tweak;1120418 said:
Why is it needed?

Because of this, people who have been swapping these engines for the past several years have simply been connecting the stock relay to a toggle switch to manually turn it on, which obviously isn't ideal.

0_o

i just went outside to check cant find a single toggle switch in my car...

YotaRob

U.S.Navy
Jun 18, 2008
Great Lakes
Doesn't the Alt fuse only have power when the engine is running for charging purposes? Thats how I controlled my electric fan relay @ one time. Why not just wire the circuit opening relay to this?

Dr Tweak

The ALT fuse has power when the key is on... but, that made me thing of something...

One could try connecting the circuit opening relay FC wire to another relay that has the charging warning light circuit going though it, so as long as the alternator is charging (charge warning light is off), the fuel pump runs....

Only problems with that are, for one, the alternator wiring isn't part of the engine harness so I couldn't wire it up here. And two, if the alternator stops working for any reason, the fuel pump won't run...

-Doc

YotaRob

U.S.Navy
Jun 18, 2008
Great Lakes
Dr Tweak;1121505 said:
The ALT fuse has power when the key is on... but, that made me thing of something...

One could try connecting the circuit opening relay FC wire to another relay that has the charging warning light circuit going though it, so as long as the alternator is charging (charge warning light is off), the fuel pump runs....

Only problems with that are, for one, the alternator wiring isn't part of the engine harness so I couldn't wire it up here. And two, if the alternator stops working for any reason, the fuel pump won't run...

-Doc

Ooops, didn't think of that. I could only imagine how pissed I would be trying to find out why car wouldn't run all cuz alt wasn't charging.:cry: back to the drawing board....

eman2289

Noob..but not incompetent
Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
What about an mkiv fuel pump controller? I was told by someone that it could be wired in to work.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Dr Tweak;1121471 said:
Well good news guys, I may have figured out a way to accomplish this same thing in the $40 - $45 range, stay tuned :)

Mario, you want to test this for me?

LOL Me a guinee pig! Sure I shall put my life on the line, and wreck my car:biglaugh: I mean turn my car off.

So hit me up with some PMs and lets get this thing rolling. I think I might be buying a new camera so I can take good pictures and ian won't whine and bitch.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Dr Tweak;1121471 said:
Well good news guys, I may have figured out a way to accomplish this same thing in the $40 - $45 range, stay tuned :)

Mario, you want to test this for me?

i see how it is :cry:

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
Dr Tweak;1246111 said:
Hey guys,

I have some good news. It looks like with a little wiring modification and adding an extra relay in, I can fix the fuel control problem for no extra charge. I need someone to test this out for me, who's in? :)

-Doc

id be happy to. i have a soarer 1jz harness modified by you and ill be ordering a patch harness come spring time when i start working again.

itd be the perfect time to wire this up.