Article: 7M-GTE Egnine Information

my7mgte527

the engine in mine runs strong and im atarting to mod it out the only thing i didnt wo was change the head bolts o arp. i replaced the gasket with the hks gasket and she is running stronger then ever so im just waiting for my turbo kit and then time to go all out

boostmek

Sep 9, 2010
milwaukee
bought mine....was just rebuilt, but the dumbass didn't install a mhg!!! So....here we go rebuilding the right way!
i hate ppl that dont do simple upgrades while there rebuilding. the previous owner of my car did the mhg replacement during his and i never had a problem

Project:XJZCressy

Oct 5, 2010
Franklin, TN
My cressida is running like crap right now, i did a compression test n my 5th Cylinder is pretty much dead.. :( n my coolant seems to squirt it self out, so it drains itself... :nono::nono: im pretty sure its a blown head gasket. i gotta change my oil. n check my injector, rings, and valves just to be on the safe side.
i just need it to hold me till next summer when i get my TT 2jz on... :icon_bigg
~7MGE MX83 CRESSIDA~

rodsterdewd

Oct 8, 2010
Tampa Bay
hi. dont know why everyone seems to think MHG is the only way to go. pullin an otherwise ok block for this seems like a huge waste of $ IMHO unless you're lookin to race it. last bhg I didnt even pull the head out. just lifted it, scraped, cleaned, dropped it back on with the same bolts. studs are a PITA. try swapping a HG with studs and without pulling the head, doesn't seem possible. already shaved the head before that and with only a couple thousand miles it just didnt make any sense to pull it out. if it's cracked or warped, i'll find out eventually. So far so good tho. didn't know about the wrong torque specs or that last head gasket (or the 3 prior) would have been fine. I now use 80 ft lb/in. This last BHG repair cost me 45 bucks and that was the price of the cheapest head set on e-bay delivered. as well as new synthetic oil... that was it. 2 weeks now and still ZOOM-----> (it really was a cheap head gasket tho and it's more an experiment then a hopeful perma fix) We'll see how long THIS one lasts... whats the cheapest anyone can get away with puttin on a NEW MHG? i'd like to see some breakdowns on parts and machining prices from around the globe for this repair to compare.

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
rodsterdewd;1633456 said:
hi. dont know why everyone seems to think MHG is the only way to go. pullin an otherwise ok block for this seems like a huge waste of $ IMHO unless you're lookin to race it. last bhg I didnt even pull the head out. just lifted it, scraped, cleaned, dropped it back on with the same bolts. studs are a PITA. try swapping a HG with studs and without pulling the head, doesn't seem possible. already shaved the head before that and with only a couple thousand miles it just didnt make any sense to pull it out. if it's cracked or warped, i'll find out eventually. So far so good tho. didn't know about the wrong torque specs or that last head gasket (or the 3 prior) would have been fine. I now use 80 ft lb/in. This last BHG repair cost me 45 bucks and that was the price of the cheapest head set on e-bay delivered. as well as new synthetic oil... that was it. 2 weeks now and still ZOOM-----> (it really was a cheap head gasket tho and it's more an experiment then a hopeful perma fix) We'll see how long THIS one lasts... whats the cheapest anyone can get away with puttin on a NEW MHG? i'd like to see some breakdowns on parts and machining prices from around the globe for this repair to compare.

No offense, but if cheap is the way you want to do things, you will not be spending much money to be sure. But the trade-off is that you will also not be spending much time ENJOYING your car because you will be spending the time to fix the cheap fixes over and over again and the newer more expensive ones that the cheap ones cause. Quality Supra parts=$$$$$, no other way to say it. My .02c

ashiharausa

Oct 25, 2010
suprazone
my car runs like crap right now waiting till the day it will expire.
I 'm :: angry ::blame it to the 1st and 2nd owner who did'nt took care of this engine

ae86ma70

Jul 24, 2008
Atlanta
I 'm :: angry :: blame it to the 1st and 2nd owner who did'nt took care of this engine

Toyota never did a recall on the improper HG torque specs, so maybe you should blame them. I have heard that the OEM HG and (new) OEM bolts work fine for most engines, provided that the bolts are torqued (and re-torqued) to the correct spec of 74-80 ft/lbs. Even the motors with improperly torqued factory gaskets usually lasted 80-100k miles. It's after the first one goes bad that the head usually needs milling. Seldom is this done correctly, and typically the BHG gets replaced with a newer OEM gasket, the factory bolts get re-used and, eventually you repeat the process. Sooner this time due to head warpage. Maybe if you're especially unlucky, rod knock sets in somewhere between BHG1 and BHG2. Best to spend the extra money and do it right the first time, even if you're not aiming for 400hp.

BTW- The flat-rate manual lists 10.5 hours labor for a head gasket on a 7M-GTE. Typical labor rate is $65/hour. Performance shop rates will be higher. This would not include machining costs to mill the block and head.

SRZMK3

i did my own BHG repair. I used a permatex headgasket, it cost me 80 buxx from shucks orielly, these head gaskets seem to be made high quality because of its very strong reinforced combustion seal they put on it, i used arp head bolts and i properly torqued them to 90 ft lbs, my friend did the exact thing on his and he overheats his almost every day because of a stupid coolant leak hes had for several months and nothing has happened yet. I have block tested his car multiple times. This proves to me that with just the shucks HG and ARP bolts these 7m engines are completely bullet proof.

KamaSupra

7M-GTE, Oh shit.
Jul 19, 2010
Chilliwack, BC
My block is being re-decked as we speak, and the head wasn't warped. MHG from Titan has arrived along with the ARP head studs. New bearings, and seals. Restoring it to factory specs first, then bolt on go fast later.

She'll be running like a champ in a couple of weeks!

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
totally rebuilt 7m + stock hardware and HG + 57 trim = BHG. fer sho. now i know what its like to paint the air white.

---------- Post added at 02:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 AM ----------

oh, running 'stock' boost (10 psi without messing with anything.. just what it runs naturally with flow upgrades)

and head bolts torqued to 75 ft/lbs.

i knew.. but now i know. word to the wise..

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I have 57trim at 10 psi with stock gasket and stock bolts to 85. Ran great for 50k/3years untuned and it got kinda hot with the a/c and 100+ degree temps a few times. Not over heating just hot. WHich is the only reason i think it blew.

digihonk82

Mar 28, 2011
Olathe, KS
That fateful night when that 300ZX threatened her life at the line was the first night 7m showed me her true power and her weakness..she bled out and then on the 3rd night armed with a new HEADGASKET was resurrected to prove herself again!!

Iodemus

Beginner
miss_ali_j;1594209 said:
I just bought an 88 with 112,000 miles thinking the head gasket was going to need replacing only to find that (surprise!) there was paperwork in the glove box showing a new metal head gasket was just installed. One less thing to stick money into...not bad for a $1500 car...

With properly torqued headbolts this is a wonderful motor. I still wouldn't try to push too much boost on one out of principle. But what's with the previous comment about burning oil? That'd be a problem with your piston rings buddy. not your headgasket. P.S. my Cressida was a bhg salvage. Oil got in the cooling system at some point after and we didn't swap out the hoses/water pump. They all decided to go out when i wanted to sell the car. NOTE TO SELF: WHEN REPLACING BHG ON A 7M, REPLACE WATER HOSES TOO. PETROLEUM ERODES RUBBER. :)

robhojy

Dec 19, 2007
swazzy,land
i love these engines so much i put one in a lighter toyota 2wd pickup truck, iv had a few engines and all that had a mhg have been thrashed and survived time and time again, with all the proven known mods these are realiable, i like the old school 80's turbo cars mine was a 7mgte manual silver facelift from 89, i also had a 1jz model R twin turbo then converted to single gt35r equivilant precision turbo with dbb, i wish id never wasted a penny on that engine, a noticible absence of torque, even over 7000rpm with fuel mods, i do everything by the book and trusted research. i think the 7m is an enthusiast engine, id put most of the haters down to being lousy mechanics mwhaahhahahahaha