Arknotts' 92 Teal Build

88mk3supra

7M DEMON
May 23, 2009
Clayton,Ohio
Man does that BW sound good!! It seems to me like from the info presented that this turbo would be the choice, grant that I have not heard of this turbo being on any 7m it would be something different to have and seems very good on price as well as same performance as a 35r that is more money.

Sinistr

Has Been
Jan 8, 2007
ABQ, NM
Yes, by the term BW, I did mean the Borg Warner lineup of turbos. That thread that showed the S300 83/75, being tested on the Evo was definitely an good read for sure. It was pretty amazing how the BW outflowed a turbo that costs nearly twice as much. Considering how well that BW turbo did on an otherwise stock Evo, I can only imagine how that same turbo would do on an engine like the 7M. With 1000cc more of displacement, it should do quite well. Especially on your car, with all of the other upgrades that you have. It would definitely compliment them well.

Here is the original thread on EvoM. Probably worth checking out:
http://forums.evolutionm.net/servic...irwerks-s300sx-83-75-vs-twinscroll-gt35r.html

88mk3supra

7M DEMON
May 23, 2009
Clayton,Ohio
Did a little research myself on the BW 83-75 turbo...people are running low boost 18-20 psi and are seeing boost at 3k rpm and full boost at or before 4k rpm! mind you this is on 1j's to, and would hit harder and more response on the 7m and 2j so I'm guessing with the right setup probably full boost at 3600 or so...I wouldn't mind running this on my 7m lol

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
Sinistr;1599391 said:
Yes, by the term BW, I did mean the Borg Warner lineup of turbos. That thread that showed the S300 83/75, being tested on the Evo was definitely an good read for sure. It was pretty amazing how the BW outflowed a turbo that costs nearly twice as much. Considering how well that BW turbo did on an otherwise stock Evo, I can only imagine how that same turbo would do on an engine like the 7M. With 1000cc more of displacement, it should do quite well. Especially on your car, with all of the other upgrades that you have. It would definitely compliment them well.

Here is the original thread on EvoM. Probably worth checking out:
http://forums.evolutionm.net/servic...irwerks-s300sx-83-75-vs-twinscroll-gt35r.html

I agree, it seems like a great turbo for a 3 liter engine. I'll have to browse through the replies in that thread.

gonzy tunning;1599543 said:
verry good job on this build.....

Thanks!

pass1914;1599588 said:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7746568#post7746568 Here is a link to my thread , which has tons of info/graphs/results for anyone researching the borg warner turbos as i am ...hope it helps guys !

Never noticed that thread on supraforums. Thanks for the link...now I have more reading to do! :p

Full-Race Geoff

Jul 30, 2010
FULL-RACE, AZ
hey guys - if anyone has any borgwarner turbo questions feel free to post up and ill do my best to respond. I work closely with the head engineers and can often give some insight and suggestions. BTW pass1914's link should definitely be read - some great info in there

88mk3supra

7M DEMON
May 23, 2009
Clayton,Ohio
Full-Race Geoff;1600746 said:
hey guys - if anyone has any borgwarner turbo questions feel free to post up and ill do my best to respond. I work closely with the head engineers and can often give some insight and suggestions. BTW pass1914's link should definitely be read - some great info in there

Question...Ive been looking into these turbos, on the 83-75 what would be the best a/r size to go with?and will the tial 44mm wastegate work good with this setup on my 7mgte? I am looking for 500whp+ i wont take it past 550whp probably because I want it to be just a nice mean street car.

Full-Race Geoff

Jul 30, 2010
FULL-RACE, AZ
for a 500+whp setup that will see street time, I definitely recommend the S300SX 83-75. The ideal A/R depends on the boost level you intend to run. For under 22/23psi, i recommend the .91 a/r. For up to 30psi, use the 1.00 a/r. The housings both spool very similarly, but the .91 has a little bit of a response advantage over the 1.00.

which header do you intend to use? I rarely recommend the ebay divided manifodls becuase they are total junk 99% of the time, but i recently saw a friends 7m ebay manifold and it was divided and i am surprised to say this but i would recommend that manifold over anything else ive seen for the 7m. its divided, cheap and moderately strong. not great materials and not great welds, but the 7m i saw had better welds than any of the 2jz or honda units ive seen in the past.

i hope this helps

-geoff

88mk3supra

7M DEMON
May 23, 2009
Clayton,Ohio
yea I don't plan on running over 23 psi boost on street but it might help to go ahead and get the 1.00a/r for when I'm going to the strip and want to turn it up a bit more...thanks for the help and info geoff...Full race will be hearing from me as soon as I get the money to get the turbo lol

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
Full-Race Geoff;1601145 said:
for a 500+whp setup that will see street time, I definitely recommend the S300SX 83-75. The ideal A/R depends on the boost level you intend to run. For under 22/23psi, i recommend the .91 a/r. For up to 30psi, use the 1.00 a/r. The housings both spool very similarly, but the .91 has a little bit of a response advantage over the 1.00.

I think you've made up my mind, that's the turbo I want. :icon_razz I'd like to have a good responsive street car that will see some road course time. I'm not sure what A/R I want yet, but I might go with the 1.00 as well since I'd like to run slightly higher boost levels w/ a meth kit.

Full-Race Geoff said:
which header do you intend to use? I rarely recommend the ebay divided manifodls becuase they are total junk 99% of the time, but i recently saw a friends 7m ebay manifold and it was divided and i am surprised to say this but i would recommend that manifold over anything else ive seen for the 7m. its divided, cheap and moderately strong. not great materials and not great welds, but the 7m i saw had better welds than any of the 2jz or honda units ive seen in the past.

i hope this helps

-geoff

Do you know if it was a "ssautochrome" manifold? That is the eBay item most talked about here, and seems to have served many people well (for the price). I was thinking about running that one.

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
arknotts;1601363 said:
I think you've made up my mind, that's the turbo I want. :icon_razz I'd like to have a good responsive street car that will see some road course time. I'm not sure what A/R I want yet, but I might go with the 1.00 as well since I'd like to run slightly higher boost levels w/ a meth kit.

Do you know if it was a "ssautochrome" manifold? That is the eBay item most talked about here, and seems to have served many people well (for the price). I was thinking about running that one.

You can run one, but your best bet is to have it cut and re-welded.

88mk3supra

7M DEMON
May 23, 2009
Clayton,Ohio
what oil feed and drain size should be ran with this turbo? also would the tial 44mm wastegate work with this? because I have access to one I might go ahead and get

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
New parts arrived!

maft_pro.JPG

avcr.JPG

Also waiting on some RC 660cc injectors from Rich! Installing these will keep me busy in the meantime though.

Mounted my LC-1 wideband controller on the firewall:

lc1_controller.JPG

...not the best place right by the downpipe, but I seriously couldn't find any other location to mount it without drilling holes in the frame. I wrapped it in some heat wrap to hopefully keep the temps down there. And yes, I still need to reinstall the turbo heat shield.

My master cylinder started leaking between it and the booster while I was bleeding my new brakes. It's my fault though, I forgot (but had planned to) put a block of wood under the pedal to limit the travel. That means new master cylinder from Toyota:

new_mc.JPG

Converted to IS300 coils for a COP setup. Just need some NA valve covers now!

is300_coils.JPG

My little helper who is always crazy about the flashlight when I am using it:

little_helper.JPG

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
I passed yopu yesterday on Kreighbaum. I was in the white Acura that waived to ya. Car is looking/sounding great dude. It was good to see ya out driving it.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
87mk111;1614277 said:
I passed yopu yesterday on Kreighbaum. I was in the white Acura that waived to ya. Car is looking/sounding great dude. It was good to see ya out driving it.

Thanks! Sorry, I would have waived back, but didn't know it was you without your Supra! Sorry to hear about the BHG, I hope you are able to get the GTE swap done soon :) If you need any parts for the swap let me know, I still have all of the stock parts lying in the garage/basement right now.