Are KYB GR-2 suppose to be stiff?

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
Well, about a week ago I had a shop install my KYB GR-2 shocks. Something I noticed right away was that it seems stiffer than it was before.

It might have been because I was driving on blown shocks before (I've noticed that a clunking noise from the rear is gone after the new KYB install) and perhaps the ride quality was softer.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FA&P=19
Is there any adjustments for the KYB GR-2 like illustrated in the manual?

I had intended these shocks to be stock replacements since I combined it with stock springs.

Zach

ECUMaster USA
Apr 6, 2005
TX
GR2's aren't much of an upgrade from the stock shocks, it's just that everybody's factory suspension is blown to hell.

Steve_N

Mar 31, 2005
Louisville KY
www.cardomain.com
The only aftermarket struts that are Computable with TEMS (Elec. Adj. Susp) are the Tokico Illumana II's. I have the KYB GR-2 & as Rumptis stated are stiffer then stock & not adj or TEMs computable. They can be used on Supra's equipped with TEMS but will lose the function. I have ran the GR-2's for almost 6yrs & have been real happy with them.

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
I really appreciate all the inputs. It's good to know that the KYB GR-2s are suppose to be stiffer than stock.

When I had my mechanics install the shocks, the front shock boots from the shocks before did not fit over the GR-2s and just fell down, so he didn't put it on. Although the shock boots' function is just to keep dirt out of the shocks and doesn't really affect the shocks itself, I was wondering what type I can get and approximately how much it goes for.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
Phantom;1129319 said:
I really appreciate all the inputs. It's good to know that the KYB GR-2s are suppose to be stiffer than stock.

When I had my mechanics install the shocks, the front shock boots from the shocks before did not fit over the GR-2s and just fell down, so he didn't put it on. Although the shock boots' function is just to keep dirt out of the shocks and doesn't really affect the shocks itself, I was wondering what type I can get and approximately how much it goes for.

i wouldent worry about it... i can get you stock replacements though if you want.. pm me.

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
They will be stiffer than stock, but not by much. Like Zach said, they will feel much more stiff initially due to most peoples stock suspension being aged and most likely blown.

-Matt