Are ARP studs reusable???

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Yes vote from me too, only thing I would suggest is putting them all in the stretch gauge to make sure.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Take a look at this:
http://www.arp-bolts.com/Tech/TechInstall.html

Suprarich gave you good advise...you want to measure the length of the stud to insure it was not over torqued.

According to Cometic, the only time you have to re-torque once the MHG is installed is if you are using hardware that has not been heat cycles. Used ARP studs have been heat cycled...that's one of the good things about reusing them ;)

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
studs shouldnt stretch beyond use. BOLTS yes... but unless the studs were SERIOUSLY overtorqued...even in which case the aluminum head would more then like be destroyed FIRST...the studs themselves dont OVER stretch to the point of nonuse.

also the studs do NOT need to be retorqued. again that applies to the bolts.

these are two reasons i always recommend studs over the bolts.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
ARP told me if the studs were ok to reuse as long as they were not torqued more then 95-100ft/lbs (with moly lube) previously. The studs can handle 15-20ft/lbs then their 80ft/lbs recommendation, not that you should to do that.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
75% yield strength on the studs is 70ft.lbs according to the instructions. Go above that and you do run the risk of stretching them.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
RacerXJ220 said:
75% yield strength on the studs is 70ft.lbs according to the instructions. Go above that and you do run the risk of stretching them.

Actually the instructions say 81 ft/lbs (w/ moly) is the recommended torque and that value is at 75% of yield strength. Doing the math, that makes the yield strength of the studs at 107 ft/lbs of torque.