Anyone using the new Tein SS Coilovers w/ EDFC?

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
I really like the idea of having the adjustability of the EDFC on the Tein line of products. I'm wondering if anyone can give me a comparison between these two Tein Products in the link below. On another note, I remember looking at an excel sheet someone put together that compared a ton of coilover brands and spring/shock combos. It was ranked in a few different ways as well (price, build quality etc). I can't find it anymore, anyone know where I can find it? It might have been on supraforms too?

Option 1:
Tein Super Street Damper

Front: 900lb/in
Rear: 500lb/in
Ride Height (f/r): -1.8/-1.3
EDFC compatible (I think the old version of the SS didn't work with EDFC?)

Option 2:
Tein Type Flex
Front: 670lb/in (this value seems wrong, I think it's supposed to be 783lb/in, see links below)
Rear: 340lb/in
Ride Height (f/r): -1.3/-1.1
EDFC compatible

Here's a link to the specs on Tein's website:
http://www.tein.com/price/toyota.html
http://www.tein.com/tech_info/l44.html

Thanks!

Note: My car is a summer driver/3rd car that I will eventually track however not that often (if they ever finish the new track they're working on near me:icon_bigg). I'd really like the rear to be pretty low. I currently have Eibach Lowering Springs and my rear springs are cut from what I've been able to read from the PO's thread the car. My car is Mattjk's old red supra. The stance of the car looks incredible, so I'd like to try and keep it that way...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The ss are height adjustable via the spring seat not allowing any adjustment of spring preload. There more of a basic coil over.

The flex are more adjustable and nice coil overs. I've driven on them. There nice and smooth.

I'd choose the flex is your dead set on wanting to use edfc to adjust the valving. If not You should look into fortune auto coil overs.

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
I use Tein Flex with EDFC.

142caba6217a8b4a11c7b41007bea6fe.jpg
7d07e0f92b782a7694311bca521e5e7c.jpg
5e68df360b8cc0bfc5f05b400e46eb04.jpg

They are awsome for me

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
Thanks guys for the input, Rollus, what is the max you can lower your rear suspension? I'm a bit confused about the specs on the Tein webpage. Says -1.1" for the rear, but I've also seen much lower numbers, like -2.X" on other threads.

I was looking at the EDFC Active Pro. Looks interesting. It auto adjusts your suspension as you're driving based on feedback from G-force sensors and a velocity sensor. I've got a question into them to see if the Tein Flex are compatible. I have a feeling they are not, but will find out when they get back to me.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but does the Tein Flex come with the spring pre-loaded or optimized for the Supra already? Therefore there shouldn't be any real need to adjust it unless you're going for a particular setup? I have a lot questions about preload, but I'll save that for another post ;)

I'm also wondering what the benefits of pillowball mounts are?

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
Oh another question for you Rollus, does the EDFC adaptors fit under the rear speaker covers?
Thanks again!

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
YYCSupra;2037195 said:
Thanks guys for the input, Rollus, what is the max you can lower your rear suspension? I'm a bit confused about the specs on the Tein webpage. Says -1.1" for the rear, but I've also seen much lower numbers, like -2.X" on other threads.
My buddy set it with 12 cm (4.74") clearance everywhere. I don't really know what is the max we can lower.
9f6f6c5a334054f17b87c88d444f5cf4.jpg
f34deacab1c100b79097da5daba67e19.jpg

YYCSupra;2037195 said:
I was looking at the EDFC Active Pro. Looks interesting. It auto adjusts your suspension as you're driving based on feedback from G-force sensors and a velocity sensor. I've got a question into them to see if the Tein Flex are compatible. I have a feeling they are not, but will find out when they get back to me.
EDFC, EDFC 2, EDFC Active, EDFC Active Pro, all use the same motors, and those motors are compatible with Tein Flex.

YYCSupra;2037195 said:
Also correct me if I'm wrong, but does the Tein Flex come with the spring pre-loaded or optimized for the Supra already? Therefore there shouldn't be any real need to adjust it unless you're going for a particular setup? I have a lot questions about preload, but I'll save that for another post ;)
I got them used, so I can't tell sorry. BTW, it's not difficult to set preload, ask youtube ;)

YYCSupra;2037195 said:
I'm also wondering what the benefits of pillowball mounts are?
Usless on a double wishbone suspension as our
YYCSupra;2037200 said:
Oh another question for you Rollus, does the EDFC adaptors fit under the rear speaker covers?
Thanks again!

Yep they do!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
pillowball mounts is how the top hat connects to the shock. There not useless on the supra. i believe your thinking of camber plates.

pillowball mounts are like the difference between running bushings and heim joints on suspension arms.

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
I did a bit more research and found that the Tein Flex are compatible with the EDFC Active except they have an installation note that the rear speaker cover needs to be removed or cut? The weird thing is the motor part number is the same as if I were to just get regular EDFC. Rollus said they fit nicely under the speaker covers so not sure how true the installation note is. Here's a link to page I am referencing.

http://www.tein.com/srch/edfc_us_ref.php?skg=L44&gno=1&kth=GST38-51SS3&ktk=0&sld=2

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
I will get pictures tomorrow for you.

I have the rear speaker grille and tonneau cover on, no problems.
My Flex are the Control Master series I believe, if that makes a difference.

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
That's awesome, thanks Rollus. The part number for the coilovers is GST38-51SS3. I'm pretty sure that is the model you have. If you can, do you mind checking what model number your motor kit is that would be awesome. Should be M12-M-12 or (EDK05-12120)
Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk