Anyone try any of the radiator caps with temperature gauges on them?

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Just grab an IR Thermometer off amazon and keep it in your glove box instead. You'll have more fun with it and be more useful.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Personally I would not use those radiator caps as there is more parts to fail/leak. I used to have a JDM Blitz radiator cap with a push button to manually release pressure back to the coolant recovery tank if you wanted to. It never worked as good as OEM and switched back to a new OEM radiator cap.

the t3d

P B4 A
Sep 30, 2006
Titusville, FL
Thanks for the replies. I can understand that. I've always wanted a infrared thermometer gun, and keeping in the glove box isn't a bad idea either. As far as stock radiator caps, I have the aluminum mishimoto radiator. Do you recommend keeping the stock 13psi release pressure, and are you running a Toyota cap or something like a Stant?

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
I also have a Mishimoto radiator, but am running the stock 0.9bar/88kPa (12.8psi) Nippon Denso cap. The radiator came with the 19psi/1.3bar/131kPa cap, which I put on the shelf.

I recommend staying with the stock pressure unless it proves to be insufficient. I'm sure I've run Stant caps in the past and recall the brand is just fine. Can't beat the Nippon Denso, though, for longevity.

the t3d

P B4 A
Sep 30, 2006
Titusville, FL
My very first build, the one before this one, I had the 19psi mishimoto cap on. I am pretty sure I had an imperfect headgasket seal. I was using a metal head gasket, and I don't think it was as perfect as it needed to be. I say this because I specifically remember switching to a higher pressure cap due to the coolant wanting to push its way out of the radiator. I don't think I knew exactly what was going on at the time. It appeared to "fix" the problem, but after a couple years of putting too much pressure on the rest of the coolant system, it eventually started pissing out where the front timing cover and the block met. So, now I have a much more efficient system that flows and breathes a little better, at least by design. I also decided to go with a steel reinforced composite headgasket to compensate for whatever block imperfections there are and to give me an overall better seal. I think I'll go with the infrared thermo gun and a stock pressure cap. I am a little scared from the first build but I have a coolant pressure tester now, so I will be pressure testing the system before she ever starts up. I appreciate the help everyone, very much.