Anyone know where the thread is on sumping a gas tank

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
I need to know this, I know Duane's gotta sweet set up and i've been talking to him about it. I kinda wanna do it to my car, but there is much I don't know about it, actually I don't know anything about it. Is there a thread on here that I can look at explaining the benefits of sumping the gas tank and why its done. Not only that possibly explaining the installation of the sump and lines and fuel pump and all tha chocolatety goodness LOL. I've looked but I keep finding stuff for 1jz's I need something for the 7m. For all I know they are both the same but i don't know. All help is appreciated!

Thanks.

-Steve Z

turboguy327

Sep 11, 2009
Rochester ny
Engine doesnt matter on sumping the fuel tank. Its hard to explain but what you do is install baffles inside the tank parallel to the bottom of the tank. What this does it stop the fuel from sloshing around on hard turns and/or throttle/brake inputs. Basically it keeps the fuel where its needed....At the pump. I believe stock tanks are sumped. I know mine is because when I took my tank out it had baffles in it that made it hard to get the fuel out of it.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Stock tank is not sumped. It has baffels like most all other stock tanks to keep the in-tank pump submerged in fuel.

Sumping is installing a section to the bottom of the tank towards the rear of the tank and installing fittings to feed an external fuel pump.

Reasoning is most all external pumps require/recommend a gravity feed. When you sump the tank it creates a place for fuel to collect under hard accelleration so that the pump remains primed.

Possible side effects are loss of fuel pump prime when the fuel level is low during hard braking/cornering. Though this depends on the baffels you install to the sump.

There are a couple people on the forum with sumped tanks that might be able to shed a little first hand insight on the subject.