Anyone know much about DSM's?

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
I'm looking to trade my 00 integra gsr for this car straight up... but I'm not all sure what I need to look for... I've never owned a dsm but I do want the awd, and have for quite some time now... plus I miss the sounds my supra made with boost and all...

PRICE $10,000

It has a brand new Timing belt, water Pump, basically a complete dealer Tune up.
Mileage 140k with <5k on most mods and about 80k on rebuilt engine.

The car has The following Modifications.

AGP RS49T 50trim Turbocharger
Denso 760cc Injectors
Walbro 255 Fuel pump
AeroMotive Adjustable FPR
Clutchmasters 2500lb clutch
ACT STREETLIGHT flywheel
AGP Bar and Plate Short Routed *big* FMIC
1g bov
DNP SS Tube Manifold
Tial 40mm Wastegate
SS 3 inch 02 Housing + FULL 3 Inch SS turbo Back exhaust. (with wideband 02 bung welded on)
Boost - EGT - and Oil Psi autometers on the Pilliar
Blitz SBC ID III to control the boost
a MAFT setup mounted in the glove box to adjust the fuel.
Findanza Short Throw Shifter

The car has a Brand New www.teamrip.com TRE transmission with the upgraded Internals and taller 5th gear. (30mpg) (DSM's are notorious for trasmission problems, but Forget all those problems with this car. Please visit www.teamrip.com and get info on this transmission. and of course BG sychro Shift II in the trans and Mobile in the motor.

Also included is an Innovate LM1 Wideband 02 Kit and I have a SAFC v.1 that i'll toss in too.

The car has 17x7 black Team Dynamics Light weight Racing wheels and Kuhmo rubber at 90% left.

It also has a www.deftracing.com carbon fiber Hood.

The goal of this car was a Smooth fast Daily driver. All this car lacks to produce 400+WHP on Pump gas is a DSMLINK and Tune.

I have the car Rough tuned with the wideband for 15psi with No knock. with the intention of having it ready for safe Daily driving to work and then picking up dsmlink in the near future and then fine tuning.

Cosmetically the Only blemish on the car is on the passenger side under the window, there is a few small shallow scratches made by a too close tree branch on the driveway.

I am interrested in the possibilities of trades, partial trades. Just email and let me know what you have in mind.

p434432_1.jpg

p434432_2.jpg

p434432_3.jpg

p434432_4.jpg

p434432_5.jpg

p434432_6.jpg

p434432_7.jpg

and this is the car I'd be trading... which only has 70k on it... and minor flaws... mechanically I have every record of every service done on it. I'm the third owner and I have the previous two owners reciepts from dealership services and then I have all of my own reciepts for everything from gas to cleaning products... My teg is almost 100% stock minus an rs-r ex-mag exhaust and an ebay intake and H&R springs (1in drop) and kyb agx 4-ways, and I have all the stock parts to include minus the exhaust...

p434432_8.jpg

p434432_9.jpg

p434432_10.jpg

p434432_11.jpg

p434432_12.jpg

p434432_13.jpg

so do you guys think it would be worth it? and what all should I look for in the car when I go test drive it?

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
Look for wobble when taking off. 1/3 of the dsms i've driven have had a motrmount loose, i dunno why.

also ask if he changed the balance shaft belt when he did the timing belt, if that balance shaft belt snaps and the shaft fucks up your in a world of hurt.

ask what the specs were when he rebuilt it and how much he did to the bottom end, i assume you've heard of the 2g dsm crankwalk issues, you shouldnt have to worry about it if the previous owner addressed the problem when he did the rebuild.

I think the other guy is getting a good deal because of how clean your car is, but those cars can be very quick and allot of fun. Just remember that getting that thing tuned and running good for DD use is going to turn it into a money pit just like our supras.

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
thats kind of what i thought... i really just need to keep this car till i'm out of college and then get me another mkiii... i miss mine soo bad...

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Keep the integra for as long as you can. It's a perfect DD. you'll thank yourself.
2G DSM's are a world of trouble. Definitely inquire about the balance shaft belt. It's often overlooked, and thus is usually the source of any timing belt issues.

americanjebus said:
i assume you've heard of the 2g dsm crankwalk issues, you shouldnt have to worry about it if the previous owner addressed the problem when he did the rebuild.
Not true. Even if it's been rebuilt to perfect specs, once a 7-bolt 4G63 crankwalks, it's bound to do it again. To see a rebuild last 20,000mi is surprising.

Keep the 'teg. If you want another supra, wait and buy one. Having a DSM (2G especially...) and a MK3 would be enough to keep you and your bank account pretty drained.

Back2Basics

Regular
Dec 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
I"d agree with keeping the GSR, I had a n/a 2g DSM, but still researched a lot about gs-t/x's. It seems like a fair price for everything thats put in it. Mileage seems a bit high, but looks like a clean car. If I could give you any helpful advice it would be that I probably wouldnt put DSM. And daily driver in the same sentence.

Turb0Lover

Its coming back
Nov 23, 2006
Phila.PA
The DSM would be nice to have considering its AWD but like others said hes getting the deal because of how good your car really is. It would be buying a problem because I've heard and seen that DSM's are not that reliable (in most cases). If you do get it make sure he gives you his car plus cash. If he asks why just tell him because your car is alot better for DD:icon_cool

Superjustin13

Supra teacher 101
Apr 4, 2005
Idaho
those 2G's are yucky

4g63 likes to get "crank walk" as people call it, which is "Play" in the crank.

i use to own one.

sell yours, get a 1G.

there faster, cheaper, and betta

or you could buy another supra?

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
keep the integra, its been good to you right...so don't give it away when this DSM can just crap out on you.

save up and get another mk3
but why did u sell your mk3?
bills?

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Put a real intake on the Integra - EBay ones sometimes come apart and go into the engine. The next step is to keep the Integra, especially if it's already paid for. Change the oil and do regular tune-ups, and that car should last you a long time, and they look great.

blackgamer16

Supra Driver
Apr 27, 2005
Sooner Country
Keep the Integra... A MUST!!! you'd be foolish to trade for a dsm. Trust me i've had 3 buddies all with turboed dsm from fwd to awd. and right out the gates one had to replace a tranny, the other one smokes oil like crazy, and my earlier versions(i think 6 bolt) thats not to bad.

In reality, look at different dsms out there where you at.. There i so many that smoke its ridicoulous. Not only that there is so many Manufacture problems that really can't be avoided that just happen like crankwalk, tranny issues( 2 most common in dsms)

If you wanna go fast really quick buy a dsm. Hands down but no way in hell would it last...

With that clean ass integra; keep it, go through the motor or put on some turbo... wrap that turbo to like 8grand and have fun. than still have the 25mpg and not only that parts are so ABUNDANCE for honda's its not even funny.

my .02 cents
Blackgamer

Ps. As you can i like hondas

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
I say keep the teggy over all the GSR is a nicer car in my opinion and it out handles the 2g dsm anyday. Oh btw if you plan on keeping it I may have an AEM intake with a bypass valve. for sale during x-mas.

M

Munky

Hey, I'm a friend of Grimjack and I've owned 4 Dsms and moderate bc.dsm.ca.

The talon looks pretty good, however I'd be suspicious of the fact that he is only running 15psi with no knock. 15psi is nothing for those motors, he should be able to run 20+psi without no knock in a perfect setup.

I would also be wary of the transmission even though he says not to be. I've owned all different kinds of transmissions, from stock to completely build up 4 spider center diff evo gear transmissions, all of which I have blown. Make sure you do not hear any odd ticking or metal shavings in the oil. Also get the crankwalk play (should be within 0-9000th of an inch), leakdown, and compression check done. AWD talons are great cars but they have a few major problems that can really screw you over (tranny, crankwalk, sometimes rear ends) so I would get those all checked out. If they are ok and you see no oil or coolant being burned through the exhaust, the car should be good. The 2gs are great handling cars and run awesome in autocross, and if you keep them stock you usually run into no problems as long as you don't drive like a retard. When you start making 438 whp like I did you will run into tons of transmission problems :).

As for if the trade is a good deal or not, if your 00 integra is only worth around $10,000 then I would definately do it. I would say that talon is worth a MAX of around $14,000.

If you have any more questions you can PM me. :)

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
tissimo said:
you have vtec.. what esle could you need?

ha ha very funny...

drunk_medic said:
Put a real intake on the Integra - EBay ones sometimes come apart and go into the engine. The next step is to keep the Integra, especially if it's already paid for. Change the oil and do regular tune-ups, and that car should last you a long time, and they look great.

it just has an ebay pipe with an aem filter... but i do keep up on the oil changes and everything else...

oscolivar1 said:
keep the integra, its been good to you right...so don't give it away when this DSM can just crap out on you.
save up and get another mk3
but why did u sell your mk3?
bills?

i had to pay some bills at school and i needed a reliable daily driver... a 500hp supra just wasn't getting the job done... it was down more than i got to drive it... i owned the car for more than a year and a half and only put 5k on it...

Superjustin13 said:
those 2G's are yucky

4g63 likes to get "crank walk" as people call it, which is "Play" in the crank.
i use to own one.
sell yours, get a 1G.
there faster, cheaper, and betta
or you could buy another supra?

The crankwalk has been takin care of... the clutch switch has been bypassed...

CryoSlash said:
when did you sell yours?

i sold it almost a year ago... i needed a daily driver and some money and i sold the supra for the same amount i got the teg for so i had to do it...

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
bigunitpitcher22 said:
keep the teggy, and boost it.

but when i boost it i run into those reliability issues... i'd rather keep it as a gas getter and then save up and buy another mkiii or an awd dsm later...