Anyone in central IL have an 87-88 turbo?

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
oneandgone said:
I need to take a look at a few things on one. I need it to be a pretty well stock car. Lmk if you have one.

You're not too far away -- I can volunteer my '87 for the task. The output pipe on my IC is slightly bent, though... and I'm not sure if the inlet pipe is straight or not. I'll check it out this weekend.

I do plan to replace the damaged bits, so if I could get my hands on a good stock IC and possibly brackets (if mine are bent), I could change it out and let you look at it then.

You guys have a lift, don't you? I've got an 11.4lb aluminum driveshaft here that I need to put on my car. Maybe we could work something out. :)

oneandgone

40R 6 SPD SC3
Ya, you're fairly close. We'll definately need to have one here for the upper pipe kit to be based off of. Either that or I'll have to buy an early i/c, and I'd rather not if we can just borrow a car for a couple hours. I'll talk to Carl about it some today.

Have you ever had the front bumper off of your car?\

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
oneandgone said:
Ya, you're fairly close. We'll definately need to have one here for the upper pipe kit to be based off of. Either that or I'll have to buy an early i/c, and I'd rather not if we can just borrow a car for a couple hours. I'll talk to Carl about it some today.

Have you ever had the front bumper off of your car?\

Nope, but it's a little messed up, so I need to. :)

See cardomain below.

oneandgone

40R 6 SPD SC3
Ouch!! Ya, you need to get that fixed! If you need some Toyo parts lmk. ...hint hint... Do you have a good fender for it? If not I'm planning to get one for my 91, I'd sell you the old one for cheap, although it's red. It also has a dent, but I could straighten it fairly well before hand. Is your bumper or fender into the i/c piping? If so it may pose a problem...

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
I do need an upper bumper-cover, pretty badly. I think I can reuse my old lower one, though I'd like to replace it with a new one too. If you want to price one for me, I'm looking for the one without the headlight sprayers. Also, if you're still working for that body shop, you can price how much they would charge to me paint the new one black. :)

I bought two fenders off of IdealSupra, they should be arriving in a day or two.

Nothing is currently into the IC piping, as far as I can tell. It's close, but no interference. I don't think I have any boost leaks, either... my boost guage reads 7 lbs under acceleration.

Thanks man!

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
Yeah, but every used one I've looked at has had that warpage where it meets the fenders (like the driver's side on mine). In the long term I'd be willing to pay the $350 or so to have a pristine one, since it's such a highly-visible part. I might break down and buy a used one to get it decent-looking in the meantime, though.

The lower piece on my car is actually not damaged from the accident, other than some scraped paint. It's a little warped around the lower lip, but I'm thinking I'll probably hang on to it for now, possibly just getting it repainted. I do plan on replacing it next year, though, when I get the car repainted. I'd still be interested to see what kind of price you can get, though.

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
Well, I took a closer look today, to see how bad the accident damage was. It doesn't seem to be too bad, actually -- it looks like the hit to the bumper hit the IC pipe that runs through the fender and pushed it into the intercooler, bending the intercooler a bit, but the pipe itself appears to have sprung right back. Even the bracket that holds the pipe under the headlight doesn't appear to be bent.

The only problem you might have is the intercooler itself, which seems to have been bent out of place a little -- though I've never seen a good stock one to compare it with, so I'm not sure if it's really bad or not.

If there is anyone out there with an 86.5-88 that has never been wrecked in the front that Grant can look at, help the man out!

If not, though, mine should do the job. At worst, I think I would just need to buy new IC brackets and a used intercooler off someone on the forums.