Anyone here program Atmel AVR MCU's?

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
This, would be the little project:

IMG_1726.jpg

Basically, i'm working on a KeyCode start module for the Supra. With an ATTiny2313 at its core (although i may need an ATMega8 later). I'll eventually interface this with a custom alarm system (with a GPS and GSM module on board).

I love playing with this sorta stuff :D

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Goddammit, a year ago I could have gotten you help with this. Seeing that picture brought it back. I definitely have seen my old supervisor and one of our PCB wizards tinkering with that display screen before, though it was for a completely different purpose than what you are doing! They were into basic PIC programming, which I never had the time at work to learn. Before reading about the 2313, I thought maybe you were using a PIC chip, or maybe an 8870 DTMF decoder there for the keypad.
I'm sorry I can't be of any assistance, but that is a really neat idea for a project.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
drunk_medic;1377846 said:
Goddammit, a year ago I could have gotten you help with this. Seeing that picture brought it back. I definitely have seen my old supervisor and one of our PCB wizards tinkering with that display screen before, though it was for a completely different purpose than what you are doing! They were into basic PIC programming, which I never had the time at work to learn. Before reading about the 2313, I thought maybe you were using a PIC chip, or maybe an 8870 DTMF decoder there for the keypad.
I'm sorry I can't be of any assistance, but that is a really neat idea for a project.

AVR's are generally more advanced, yet simpler to program for. PIC's had their day really.

bfr1992t;1377849 said:
Planning on living at Robin's nest?

Que?

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Okay, the idea is; you get in the car, put the key in the ignition, turn it to IGN, type in the code, and have the car start. Without the correct code, the car won't start. If the code entered is incorrect, it'll trigger the alarm.

So basically, the ATTiny2313 has to trigger the output (ie, the starter relay) until it recieves an input from the ECU stating that the engine is started, so that it stops triggering the starter relay. If the input is recieved without the code having been entered, output #2 is triggered (the alarm, containing a GSM & GPS module to text cars status and location at 10 minute intervals).

It's also got to drive a 2x16 character LCD - in order to relay messages, and *'s whenever any number is entered on the 4x3 keypad.

From what i've seen on the datasheet, i have another two I/O's at the very least in which to accomplish this.

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
Looks like the ATTiny has 3 ports, a A(3 bits), B(8Bits) D(7bits). Looks like you've used port B for the LCD.

Do you have a part # for the keypad?

You *should* have enough I/O pins, but what you'll probably find is that working with limited ports r/w data to shared ports can be a bitch. You get stuck with doing much more bit masking than any sane person cares to.

I used the AT90USB a few years back when it first came out. It was decent, but there wasn't a whole lot of online resources at the time. I'm sure it's a bit more popular than before.

Give me the part #'s you're using, and I am sure to have those in my office somewhere. I'll wire it up and see what I can come up with.