Anyone here into digital photography?

thesupe87

ArenaCreative.com
Jun 13, 2005
USA
www.arenacreative.com
Check this out peeps:

You know you've got a million awesome shots of cars, and such from car shows...

Why not make money off of them? All you have to do is airbrush off license plates, logos, copywrighted stuff - and then you can make 50 cents a picture, every time it's downloaded. Once you hit 30 bucks, you cash out with paypal - this is the neatest website. I listed only 10 pics, and so far I sold 2...that's only after a couple of weeks. If I had 100-200 listed, I'm sure that I'd be making an extra 30 bucks every month or so.

It's called bigstockphoto:

http://www.bigstockphoto.com/?refid=GOUVAfUzdT

Sign up, and keyword your photos, either in photoshop under file info, or right on the upload page - and start making some side money :)

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
I take several thousands of digital high quality pics a year. Mostly of my kids and the events they go to.
I wouldn't dream of making a buck off any pic. I even print pics for people on my photo inkjet or get the dye sub prints at Costco to give out.
Its my hobby.

thesupe87

ArenaCreative.com
Jun 13, 2005
USA
www.arenacreative.com
I wouldnt want my kids' face on a box of korean yo-yos either...you have to be selective in what you're selling away the rights to. I just figure, hey - it's side money. If I can make enough to cover my celly bill each month, that'll be thrilling to me. I work full-time as a graphic design...so I only dabble with this stuff once in a blue moon in my spare time.

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
thesupe87 said:
Check this out peeps:

You know you've got a million awesome shots of cars, and such from car shows...

Why not make money off of them? All you have to do is airbrush off license plates, logos, copywrighted stuff - :)

hmm... selling copywrighted material???? lol

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
usa today could have a beef if you were selling them? but not likely.. i was refering to hacking a pik like this, and selling it. that could be bad.

Is it legal to download works from peer-to-peer networks and if not, what is the penalty for doing so?

Uploading or downloading works protected by copyright without the authority of the copyright owner is an infringement of the copyright owner's exclusive rights of reproduction and/or distribution. Anyone found to have infringed a copyrighted work may be liable for statutory damages up to $30,000 for each work infringed and, if willful infringement is proven by the copyright owner, that amount may be increased up to $150, 000 for each work infringed. In addition, an infringer of a work may also be liable for the attorney's fees incurred by the copyright owner to enforce his or her rights.

Attachments

• auroradouble_hoffman_big.jpg
    auroradouble_hoffman_big.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 24

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
just because the pic has usa today in it means crap, the only time a company will care is if it is use with say a large movie without permission,
to them those small things like that are just free advertisement

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
yup, its called fair use..

Many photos include other copyrighted materials in them. For example, a street scene may include a billboard with an advertisement, a newspaper on a news stand and products in a store window. Less obvious copyrighted items could exist in the sculptural ornamentation of a lamppost, the patterned fabric of a woman’s skirt and a toy held by a child. You could never track down each copyright owner for permission to use the photo. But you may not be out of luck if you want to use the image commercially.

While copyright law can be restrictive, it is not irrational. Copyright law includes the doctrine of “fair use,” allowing unauthorized use of copyrights in certain circumstances. The courts recognize that free expression and avoiding law suits over minor issues are more important than protecting intellectual property rights.

The doctrine of fair use also means that copying will not infringe when the use is “for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship or research.”

Four factors are considered to determine whether the use qualifies under the doctrine: the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes; the nature of the copyrighted work; the amount and substantiality of the portion used; and the effect of the use upon the potential market for or the value of the copyrighted work.

So if the copyrighted material that appears in the photo is covered by these four categories, you do not need permission to use the photo. Still, it is always best to seek permission to use a copyrighted work.

thesupe87

ArenaCreative.com
Jun 13, 2005
USA
www.arenacreative.com
Yeah, you've got the idea - Joel, I completely agree with you. I remember going over all of this when I took a Computer Ethics class back in college- it's some really interesting (sometimes very intricate) stuff.

You can never really get ALL copyrighted materials out of an image- like the manufacturer of a certain eyeglass frame that someone might be wearing, or something of that nature. But, you can at least take off as many of the obvious copyrights, as you can - just to be on the safe side, and to keep your photo as generic and least offensive as possible.

I'm up to like 61 images accepted, that's thrilling for me. Hitting 100-200 seems like it's going to be a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. Now, I just have to sit back and wait for the sales. Did anyone else get any of their stuff on there? If so, link me to your gallery, or share your bigstock username - lets show each other our pics. My name on there is thesupe87, same as here.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
^^ so are u just going around and taking pics of stuff or making images?
what are you doing to get these pics?

thesupe87

ArenaCreative.com
Jun 13, 2005
USA
www.arenacreative.com
D34DC311 said:
^^ so are u just going around and taking pics of stuff or making images?
what are you doing to get these pics?

I'm just taking images I already shot, with like 3 megapixel digital cameras - and just touching them up in photoshop - de-noising the, making them look less grainy, color correcting them all in photoshop. I even created some images in photoshop, I made a nice brushed aluminum texture, and it sold already after being up a few days.

Whatever floats your boat. You can even draw stuff in illustrator, convert it to jpeg, and sell it. Cartoons, logos, anything.

I took some macro shots last weekend when I had some free time- of all my little die-cast dub city cars, and just random things, shot glasses - etc...I just don't have the time to edit them all before uploading.

I'm up to 76 images and counting on bigstockphoto ;) I wanna hit at least 1-200 and then I'll chill for a little bit. It gets addicting. Either way, I'm creating stock photos for myself - even if I don't sell many. Being a graphic designer, you can never have too many no matter what the subject.

Here's the signup link once again, if anyone else wants to join in.
http://www.bigstockphoto.com/?refid=GOUVAfUzdT

thesupe87

ArenaCreative.com
Jun 13, 2005
USA
www.arenacreative.com
I know there's got to be a lot of supra owners that are into photography - we see the incredible car shots, that they post. Unless they're just REaally good amateurs / novices. I fall in that category, I'm no pro. I'm trying to get better tho. As soon as I upgrade my camera, that will be my next major step to getting better. The camera I have right now is on the low-end-to-intermediate level :/

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
^^
Right now me my brother and my dad are trying to save up for a digital SLR, for my mom, she is kinda a freelance photographer, people from other states ask her to go take pics, for their weddings. kinda cool, but expensive hobbie.