p914828_3.jpg

p914828_4.jpg

p914828_5.jpg

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
JustAnotherVictim;914841 said:
If building includes going to a shop paying someone for it then yes.
I have built a few.

lol, me too.

I actually started an acoustic once, but ran out of time and patience quickly.

It was one of those projects that I thought was going to be a really cool experience, and just wasn't.

Hopefully you are enjoying it and everything turns out as you want it! Good luck :icon_bigg

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
im planning to soon, just waiting for the shop to be finished so we can move the cnc router in, then its time to play :) ive got a source for some nice chunks of mahogany as well. dunno if it will sounds very good, but it sure will look nice

MaverickA70

desperate parts beggar
Sep 17, 2007
arkansas
i looked up the sound qualities of mahogany:
Open grained with large pores, Mahogany has a more uniform grain pattern and density than Swamp Ash. Its density is constant within the ring and from one ring to the next. So it’s rigidity is inherent in its composition, not in a “skeleton” with soft sections in between. It’s constant density compresses the mids a little, and this can be considered a thick sound, because it does still produce good lows and low mids. Without the mids popping out, being responsive to dynamics, its more of a “wall of sound” Its not that it isn’t midrangey, because it resonates those guitar frequencies well, but its not as responsive to them as an Alder or Ash. It also combs away more upper midrange frequencies for a more nasal sound. It has a good balance of fundamental and overtones for higher register soloing. High notes are richer and thicker than Alder or Ash.

Production notes: There are many different kinds of Mahogany, and unless it has a sparkle to it like some of the Japanese and US guitars it will have a similar sound from one piece to the next. A nicer piece of mahogany has an iridescence to it usually combined with what looks like wide stripes, almost as if it’s been pieced together by multiple 1” strips. Catalog photos often reveal that the endorser gets a better piece than the production line.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Nice work so far.
My dad as built quite a few guitars and amps in his life. But in building him he didnt actually make the body and neck..he bought those 2 and assembled everything else himself. Oh and the amps, he made the cabinet and put the speaker and all the guts in as well.

Last edited:

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california
i made a squire in to an american strat...lol. What your doing is bad ass. What design are you going for? like an SG neck and a fender body?

Oh and Big Wang Bandit: thats a sick ass bass. my friends dad has one. there like 3g's

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
I don't have a guitar anymore, and it's been years since I've owned one that was bolt on... I do have a few questions:

Why did you choose bolt on? Easier to build?

What's your strategy for the truss rod? My bass has the neck back routed out and filled, I guess drilling it would work? (kind of risky?)

What are you using for a bridge?

That's a heck of an undertaking, props man. It looks good so far, very very nice. More progress pics please :D

MaverickA70

desperate parts beggar
Sep 17, 2007
arkansas
i went with the bolt on because is a lot easier, and i dont think i would be sacrificing much in the way of quality to do it that way .
as of now the trussrod is going to be a carbon fiber rod that will be seated with epoxy, but that could change if it doesnt seem strong enough
for the bridge i have a tun-o-matic setup with a tailpiece.
i'll snap some pics of all the parts i have and get them up here
thanks for the props

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
make a fretless guitar! i made a bass out of a cardboard box, some fiberglass, and a defretted acoustic guitar neck once. It didnt sound too good.