Anyone ever used this place for a rebuilt R154?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
As it turns out, 2 trans are on their way from the shop my car is in.. so... mine will be accompanying them. Going to be sooooo nice to be able to normal shift 1-2-3 and 3-2-1 again.. lol.

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
Been looking for something like this and since I know where my tranny will be going, it gives me more motivation to get those flywheel bolts out and drop it out of the car and start cleaning it up for shipping! Thanks for sharing!

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Bit the bullet, pulling my R154 and sending it to this place for a Stage2 rebuild plus asking them to upgrade the first gear thrust washer. Will let you know in about a month how it goes. (well.. maybe 2.. because snow will be on the ground and they estimate a 3-4 week turn around.)

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
I have the same plan to send my trans to these guys. I hope to hear from from you when its all done. I wont be sending my trans away till next spring.

Sinistr

Has Been
Jan 8, 2007
ABQ, NM
As soon as I can get the cash together, I will be sending my R154 to Jack's as well. OP, let us know how it works out for you.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Will do, I made sure that the shop takes lots of pics before throwing it back on as well. It went up with 2 V160's so it may not be back for a couple more weeks. Shared shipping saved me a bit.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Don't know full shipping costs yet, because mine was shipped along with 2 V160s for rebuilds.

It's on its way home right now. All my synchros were pretty well shot but the gears were in great shape. Because they took longer to finish they did a stage 3 build for 1300'ish CDN. Won't know final cost until it gets here because the shop my car is in paid, I have to pay them once the invoice arrives.

Should be here this week so I will have photos.

Last edited:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
They are definitely clean and they coat them afterwards as well. Keeping my Spec 2+ clutch but replacing the disc with an OEM clutch disc. I find that the 6 puck design gives me a shudder that I really wanted to avoid.
Now I can setup the Nashman 2 shifter properly :)

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
They look awesome and shipping was alot less then I was thinking it would be. I ended up find a used trans for sale and decided to pick that up instead of rebuilding mine. So now I have two transmission so maybe this summer I'll send one of the transmission down to be built up.

You will have to post some sort of review once the snow is melted and you can take it out on the road. Did they mention anything about it needing a break in period?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
They gave me an excellent review of what they found when they took it apart so I knew what all my issues were.
To me that was critical as a reference.

Then they gave me a full rundown of what they did.
No questions when it's all in black and white!

Plus they gave me step by step break in and maintenance.

So far two huge thumbs up!

Can't tell it's an old trany.. Lol

Also, keep in mind that my shipping was done with 2 other transmissions (we split the cost) and RCTS didn't tack on any extra charges (which is out of character for them... lol). Shipping would probably be 300.00 there and back I think, but could be more. No way to know as I didn't send it solo.

(I find it odd that the housings are different on the two V160's. Must be an age thing)

Last edited: