Any Recommendations for a Rack & Pinion?

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Hello,

I am currently going to be replacing my rack & pinion on my 87 Supra as it leaks and I have been without powersteering for years due to this. I wanted to go with a Napa re-manufactured unit but unfortunately they are discontinued. I have also heard of others having problems within a few months from some places.

Anyone recommend a good place to buy one?

Thanks.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
I rebuilt my original 87 R&P with a kit.
Also retained the steering dampener.

Unless its a Toyota rebuilt rack I wouldn't trust it to have much longevity.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Piratetip;2093843 said:
I rebuilt my original 87 R&P with a kit.
Also retained the steering dampener.

Unless its a Toyota rebuilt rack I wouldn't trust it to have much longevity.

My steering damper is completely blown. Do you know of anybody who rebuilds those or is there any comparable part number that will ffit it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave K.

Nov 9, 2010
Mesa, AZ
2 different brands available through Rockauto.com. And I thought they included the damper? Check to be sure.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
gtsfirefighter;2093859 said:
My steering damper is completely blown. Do you know of anybody who rebuilds those or is there any comparable part number that will ffit it?

I doubt anyone rebuilds them.
They used to be ~$150 from the dealer, but looks like they are now discontinued.

The rack rebuilds don't include the damper.

A bit of research will probably find you a similar damper that was used on a different vehicle.
Post #19 here is a good starting point.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...-mercedes-steering-damper-vs-an-OEM-one/page2

Dave K.

Nov 9, 2010
Mesa, AZ
Just out of curiosity, would an '89+ non-PPS R&P bolt onto the earlier subframe? Those don't have the damper, do they? I've only dealt with my '92T, so forgive my ignorance.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Piratetip;2093877 said:
I doubt anyone rebuilds them.
They used to be ~$150 from the dealer, but looks like they are now discontinued.

The rack rebuilds don't include the damper.

A bit of research will probably find you a similar damper that was used on a different vehicle.
Post #19 here is a good starting point.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...-mercedes-steering-damper-vs-an-OEM-one/page2

I never got any others to fit properly and eventually found a good used one at the junk yard during my 4 year relative absence from the forum.

After I did coilovers and upgraded sway the whole issue I was having that I attributed to the damper went away though. I think I was too low on soft springs and was feeling bump steer.

Anyway, the damper isn't really worth worrying about much. If you can get a good one fine, if not you won't tell much difference.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
I wanted to give this thread a update:

Thanks everyone for the input. I ended up buying a remain A-1 Cardone steering rack from Advance Auto Parts. It had a very small leak on one of the metal hard lines on the unit so I exchanged it for another one. It's been on for a week with the 2nd replacement and no leaks now. I don't want to change this part often but it did come with a lifetime warranty and they are local so that is why I ended up buying from them as I don't want to ship out a big rack for warranty work if needed later on.

Also I noticed the stock steering damper on mine was made by KYB with the Toyota part number on it if anyone was wondering.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
plaaya69;2094535 said:
I wanted to give this thread a update:

Thanks everyone for the input. I ended up buying a remain A-1 Cardone steering rack from Advance Auto Parts. It had a very small leak on one of the metal hard lines on the unit so I exchanged it for another one. It's been on for a week with the 2nd replacement and no leaks now. I don't want to change this part often but it did come with a lifetime warranty and they are local so that is why I ended up buying from them as I don't want to ship out a big rack for warranty work if needed later on.

Also I noticed the stock steering damper on mine was made by KYB with the Toyota part number on it if anyone was wondering.

Did the steering damper come with the new rack? I'd like to find one if the dampers are available without having to buy a whole rack n pinion.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
No, unfortunately it did not come with a damper. It was just the remain steering rack and new inner tie rods. I would think there has has to be a alternative part that will work with for it.